OSB As Underlayment For Carpet? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

OSB as underlayment for carpet?

I am building up 2 bedroom floors to help the transition into a newly tiled bathroom. The floors are currently 3/4" t&g planks, we had to cut into a few spots for structural upgrades and wiring, so some plywood has been patched in. I would like to add an underlayment to raise and smooth out the bedroom floors and dampen a few of the squeeks. The floor will be carpeted when complete. I was looking at using 7/16" OSB, screwed and glued down with liquid nails subfloor adhesive. Any thoughts or suggestions? The OSB will not be in the bathroom. Thanks.

Advertisement

TReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,234

That would be the cheapest way to do it, but not my first choice even with carpet. I recommend 1/2" underlayment grade plywood, not the cheap CDX sheathing. 2nd choice, I might be talked into 1/2" OSB to keep the price down. Your 7/16" OSB is bare bone minimum, too flimsy.

Make sure you do NOT butt the sheets together, leave 1/8 gap min. Repair and remove the squeaks before you install this new underlayment. It by itself will not help with that.

Use NO glue, especially those that are thick and come in a tube. Beads of glue will create voids and make the floor move up and down more. Use ring-shank underlayment nails or deck screws. NO drywall screws.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,298

If you use OSB, make sure the carpet installer adds some longer nails to the tackstrip. Otherwise the strip may not hold when stretching the carpet.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the advice. I decided it was worth some extra money and use plywood instead of OBX. Would I still leave a 1/8" gap (for expansion right?) and also, should I not use adhesive with the ply either?

Last edited by TReally; 03-03-2010 at 07:16 AM.
TReally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
That would be the cheapest way to do it, but not my first choice even with carpet. I recommend 1/2" underlayment grade plywood, not the cheap CDX sheathing. 2nd choice, I might be talked into 1/2" OSB to keep the price down. Your 7/16" OSB is bare bone minimum, too flimsy.

Make sure you do NOT butt the sheets together, leave 1/8 gap min. Repair and remove the squeaks before you install this new underlayment. It by itself will not help with that.

Use NO glue, especially those that are thick and come in a tube. Beads of glue will create voids and make the floor move up and down more. Use ring-shank underlayment nails or deck screws. NO drywall screws.

Jaz
just what the doctor orderd
martin.rayner3 is offline   Reply With Quote