Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #1

Share |

Options for resurfacing over old cutback adhesive

Ok, In my basement wash room there is old cutback residue that I'm assuming once had tiles over top of it. I'm assuming the old adhesive contains asbestos.

I'm looking for the simplest and easiest solution for this floor possible. Ideally, I want to put down expoxy floor finish over the area. I don't want anymore tile, flooring, etc. My question is whether I can use the epoxy floor coat directly over the thin residue or do I have to apply a thin layer of something else first.

I have a blue bag of quikrete concrete resurfacer I purchased at lowes: http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...Resurfacer.asp

I'm thinking about putting this on the cutback before the epoxy coat, but I'm not sure if it will adhere to the cutback or not? Is there something I can add to the resurfacer to ensure adhesion?

Is there better product/method I can use to seal/level the floor before applying teh epoxy? If so, I would prefer to order it through lowes since I live very close. I'm planning to call quikcrete tommarrow and see what they recommend. Basically, I just want the fewest steps to apply the epoxy coat. Do I just need to wet scrape the cutback to a very thin stain and apply a sealer before the epoxy? I need a solution for this problem. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

burlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 AM   #2

Options for resurfacing over old cutback adhesive

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlis View Post
Ok, In my basement wash room there is old cutback residue that I'm assuming once had tiles over top of it. I'm assuming the old adhesive contains asbestos.

I'm looking for the simplest and easiest solution for this floor possible. Ideally, I want to put down expoxy floor finish over the area. I don't want anymore tile, flooring, etc. My question is whether I can use the epoxy floor coat directly over the thin residue or do I have to apply a thin layer of something else first.

I have a blue bag of quikrete concrete resurfacer I purchased at lowes: http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...Resurfacer.asp

I'm thinking about putting this on the cutback before the epoxy coat, but I'm not sure if it will adhere to the cutback or not? Is there something I can add to the resurfacer to ensure adhesion?

Is there better product/method I can use to seal/level the floor before applying teh epoxy? If so, I would prefer to order it through lowes since I live very close. I'm planning to call quikcrete tommarrow and see what they recommend. Basically, I just want the fewest steps to apply the epoxy coat. Do I just need to wet scrape the cutback to a very thin stain and apply a sealer before the epoxy? I need a solution for this problem. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Ok I called quikrete and none of there products will works unless floor is pressure washed/shot blasted lol!

In this day and age I know there is a floor topping that will stick to to some old adhesive residue. Don't say no there isn't either because I know there are some tough cement mixes out there. Just look at the floor at your local lowes/home depot, what is that crap? I guess it's some big secret secret. Whatever it is it sure as hell isn't "popping" off anywhere and I don't think it gives a damn if it's legally married to what it was put over either.

Does anyone even look at posts to this forum?

burlis is offline   Reply With Quote