DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Options for Old Bathroom Tile Floors

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Blondesense 
#1 ·
My house has two bathrooms built in 1970. The master bath is a very small (and I mean VERY) small one and has a ceramic tile floor about 6' long by 5' wide. The tile color is a pattern of pink, black, white and gray. Totally 1970 :)

I have never ripped up or done any tile work before so I'm nervous about jumping and ripping this floor up.

What are my options? It doesn't have to look perfect (I'm selling the house) but I want to minimize the pink (the tub surround is pink and white tile, and the tub itself is pink).

Looking at the marble threshold at the doorway into the bathroom, underneath it appears to be visible plywood/subfloor. So it *appears* to my untrained eye that it might be easy to rip this floor up, even for an idiot like me. : ) Here is a video of the bathroom (sorry about my shaky hand):

http://elearninglive.com/temp/pinkBathroom/index.html

I have changed out vanities and toilets before, but never anything to do with tile. But I think it might be doable for me if in fact that plywood at the end of the video underneath the threshold is what the tile is applied to, and it's just a matter of separating it from the floor. I'm just *assuming* it is plywood - I have no idea what it is.

Advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
A bathroom of that vintage could have the tile installed over what is known as a "mudbed". The only thing you can do is to get invasive and see what is there. If it is a mudbed (concrete) subfloor, then repairing all of that could be extensive and costly.

Did you do the repairs to the leaky shower/tub valve? If so, what was the tub surround walls made of? What material was found under those tiles at the time the repair was done? Knowing the answer to that question may suggest how the floor was done since they were done at the same time.

You could begin at the door by removing the marble saddle and chiseling a few tiles out to see what you are getting into.:)

#3 ·
Thanks. Did you look at the end of the video? At the end I do a close-up to what appears is a piece of plywood that the threshold rests on. I was hoping that the tile was just adhered to that plywood (if in fact that is plywood) and it would be a fairly easy thing to do to replace.

I didn't repair the leaky shower/tub valve. I assume that you mean that was repaired because of the white tiles around the tub valves?

I bought this house this past summer. With the exception of this bathroom and the center-hall bathroom, the rest of the house was completely updated and is in beautiful condition. Unfortunately though, my wife hates the neighborhood (for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is it turns out there is a gun club about a mile from here and it has an outdoor range and those guys shoot guns all the time...it's...annoying). So I'm forced to sell. Sucks, but I don't have a choice and I was hoping to 'lipstick' these bathrooms somewhat to make them more attractice. My realtor told me that many of his clients have successfully used peel and stick Armstrong tiles and just put em over the old tile. I find it hard to believe that that would work, but I just may try one and see how well they adhere.

#4 · (Edited)
At the end I do a close-up to what appears is a piece of plywood that the threshold rests on.
Hard to tell what was done there. The material under the saddle looks more like OSB than plywood but - who knows?:)

The tile shouldn't be adhered to just plywood but it could be. Many jobs where done that way in those years.

My realtor told me that many of his clients have successfully used peel and stick Armstrong tiles and just put em over the old tile.
Well that's a realtor for you! I personally think that approach is less than honest and I won't go there.:furious:

That's just like the realtor that didn't bother to tell you there was an active gun club nearby and you would have to listen to the noise of such an installation all the time. Now, once again there is a brokerage fee to be paid.

#5 ·
What are my options? It doesn't have to look perfect (I'm selling the house) but I want to minimize the pink (the tub surround is pink and white tile, and the tub itself is pink).
My opinion is: Don't waste your time. I really don't think getting rid of the pink on the floor is going to make much difference when you have a pink elephant (ie. tub and surround) in the room. I think it would be an awful lot of work and expense for no significant return.
As a buyer I would probably prefer the original matching floor (assuming it is in good condition) than peel-n-stick or something that looks like a quick fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.