Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old wood to new wood/laminate transition dilemma.

I'm stumped. We're so close to deciding to go with Allure flooring over our old tile throughout the front of the house. Our tile is cracked and just hideous after 12 years. But the expense and ordeal of busting it up is just WAY more than I can handle now - or any time soon. We are tempted to put this laminate down over the tile - problem comes with three adjoining rooms that are already tile - two are hardwood put in when we built it (when I was talked OUT of the wood throughout, now could scream that I ever put in the tile!). Those two rooms match but, over time, not really exactly. The third adjoining room (around a corner) is a slightly darker pergo that we put in my daughter's room a few years ago.

The issue I'm having is how to transition between the "wood" floors. I hate the wood strip transitions. I'd never match and I'd prefer not to bump the new wood right up to the old. I'd love to put in a 5" (?) strip of decorative tile. The problem is how to connect that to the lower wood on either side - ugh! I know I need a reducer but everything is ugly. How can I get an edge piece to match the tile that could go on either side? Can this be done?

The other idea is maybe take a contrasting wood and lay that across between the two but I'm not sure how that would work - and I don't want the darker wood - I don't have anything else in the house as dark as the daughter's room.

I'm just not liking my options. Am I asking for too much?

csl7037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Allure would not work directly over tile, unless you went over the whole floor with floor leveler.
You would be so much better off getting rid of the old tile totaly in the long run no matter what flooring you went with.
Concider using engineered flooring instead of laminite. It will look more like real wood againt the floors you have now not like cheap plastic like laminite does, would be thicker so the floors will be closer to being even.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

Isn't the whole point to allure that it can cover the tile. And I know full well the tile needs to come up I'm just plain not doing that right now. Spending thousands of dollars to have my house demolished and unlivable for God-knows how long (twice as long as any contractor tells me up front, guaranteed) is not an option and wont be any time soon. I guess I'm repeating myself.
csl7037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Some wood style laminates look alot like wood until you put it next to wood. Then it does look cheap Bruce makes a locking floor with real wood top, taking the tile up is best good luck.
Iflooru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

Not sure where your getting that idea. Alloure if just strips of flexable linolium flooring. It will take the shape over time of anything it's layed over.
You could go over the whole floor with nongypsum floor leveler but it's a lot of time and money.
We do this stuff for a living, and really do know what's the best way.

We can remove all the tile in a 12 X 12 room and lay all new Alloure in one day.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allure, flooring, laminate, reducer, transition