If it's that old you may not want to take it up. First thing you should do is make sure you don't have asbestos. Many older floors used asbestos and you do not want to disturb it. Very dangerous when released into the air. See if a company in your area can test it before going too far, it may be best to just cover it or hire a pro to do it for you.
There are co.'s out there that will test it for you if you pull a little up and bag it and either send it to them via the mail,better check on how they want that sealed first though, and will tell you if it is "hot" or not.But i'll chime in with the other poster and say if it is that old then the likelyhood of that being "hot" is very good