Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Old subfloor needs repair

I just bought an old house, 120 years old... I've pulled up the carpet because I intend to put an engineered floating hardwood floor down. There is a soft spot in the subfloor that has resulted from the supporting rock and concrete wall underneath falling apart. I don't have any access to this part of the floor from the basement. So my problem is that I can't screw the floor down to make it solid (if I could I would and then just build it up level), so it's basically just floating there not screwed into or supported by anything. I'm wondering if anyone has a fix for this without tearing up the floor...

Thanks

Darryl

rdmccaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Boz
Gus

Nope, gotta cut it out.

Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #3

That's what I figured, I did it last night, wasn't as hard as I thought... just set the saw to a height to only cut out the subfloor, then I removed the 1" planks underneath and just built it up using new lumber...by using the concrete supporting wall holding up the main floor I was able to make it solid as a "rock"...

Not as big of a job as I thought.

Cheers
rdmccaw is offline   Reply With Quote