Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Old Sub Floor

Hello, we have purchased an older home (Built in 1972) now the flooring I needed to pull up as the dishwasher that came with the house was leaking. When I started to pull up the laminate flooring I noticed that the vinyl flooring below was coming up due to water damage as the glue was not sticking any more. Now I have come to relise that this leak has not just happened over the past few months but has been over a number of years. However here is my question, I have never removed a floor before and was concerned when I noticed this because have no idea what to do. However when I removed the rest of the laminated floor I noticed that in this house there was water baseboard heaters, as the subfloor does not come all the way to edge plus with the pipe showing too. But when I noticed that I also noticed that there was plywood on the bottom and then this sub floor that I was talking about that is rotten a little in the kitchen area. So I'm thinking that this sub floor is laid out all over the house can I just not pull that all up then lay new plywood down? Does this make sence or am I confussing you? Please give me your advise.
Thank you
Keyboard

Keyboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #2

Old Sub Floor

When I started carpentry in '73, the norm was to use particle board (glued together sawdust) as the underlayment (non-structural) over the plywood sub-floor (structural). It gets wet and turns to powder, releasing the glued floor covering from it. Sound about right? Try removing the flooring and the particle board underlayment, then add real plywood over the old for a strong floor. What are the floor joists spaced at? Can you tell the thickness of the sub-floor plywood? Check the floor register, if gas or electric forced-air....

Be safe, Gary

Keyboard (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #3

Old Sub Floor

Thank you very much for the information that is great. I went and took a look at the sub floor and it is about 1/4 of inch think and it is plywood on top of the main floor. So I was just thinking about cutting the sub floor all up that is through out the house and laying all new plywood 1/4 think with screws to also stop the sqeeking in the floor. I don't think that the wood in the kitchen that got wet is to bad, however there are chips of the wood flaking off. Due to the fact this is an old floor I think that I should just go with the 1/4 in plywood and then pick up laminate after. Now I have noticed that there is a gab of course with the door frames and the floor now. Any advise on doing this next task?
Thank you
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Old Sub Floor

Could you list the floor in layers, please? Joists, plywood--- how thick? , underlayment of what material-- 1/4" plywood?

Be safe, Gary
Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #5

Old Sub Floor

right now all I have done is removed the laminate flooring and then noticed there is vinyl under that which is stuck to the sub-floor of looks like 1/4 in plywood. The sub-floor is on top of the base floor which is plywood. I have not gone any deeper then this. Sorry does this help? Thanks again