Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old Pine and Fir floors

Hey, I bought an old farmhouse that is full of nice fir and wideboard pine flooring. I am looking for tips on sanding and refinishing these types of wood flooring. It is all in pretty good condtion aside from a few holes where there were registers (I have enough extra flooring from another room to patch these holes) I am going for a bit of a distressed look but could do with out slivers and a way to add some durability.
Thanks

dairyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,636

Old Pine and Fir floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyman View Post
Hey, I bought an old farmhouse that is full of nice fir and wideboard pine flooring. I am looking for tips on sanding and refinishing these types of wood flooring. It is all in pretty good condtion aside from a few holes where there were registers (I have enough extra flooring from another room to patch these holes) I am going for a bit of a distressed look but could do with out slivers and a way to add some durability.
Thanks
When you sand the floor use heavy grit paper as smaller grit will load up quick with pine. When you finish sand be sure to have a lot of sand paper on hand and watch the paper and change it when it starts to load. If you allow it to load your sander will jump and dig into your floor and if you let it really load up, the paper will come all to pieces and really mess up the floor.

One thing I hand my flooring finishers do in the old homes we restored was to use a paint scraper on the edges of the flooring to make it look rounded and worn, it is time consuming but it sure does look good.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote