Old Mastic Or Glue? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Familyman

Rewards Points: 10

Old mastic or glue?

hey ppl,
i am remodeling a house built in '65. The laundry room area had porelain tile. The HO wants to put down lin. that matches the eng. h-wood floor that will be installed in the adjacent dining room and kitchen. The tile in the kitchen was installed with a common mastic. I popped the tiles from the landry room and uncovered some stubborn stuff. It is black in color, kinda looks like mastic, it was put down in the same fashion. That is where it ends. Scraping it won't budge it. I did try some adhesive remover, but that little can cost $30. Not to mention the vapors with a water heater about ten feet away. A grinder will remove it, but the only thing that is keeping me from doing it is she hasn't decided 100% on lin or staining the concrete. don't want to leave gouges in the floor.
Can anyone tell me what this stuff might be and how to get it up safely with little dust. I think it is some kind of glue.
Thanks

Advertisement

matt700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Old mastic or glue?

Sounds like what is commonly called "cutback" adhesive. You won't be acid staining those floors, have her choose another floor covering.

If ceramic/porcelian tile is chosen there are thinset adhesives that will work over the black (cutback) adhesive if it is scraped down to a stain. You CAN NOT use a chemical remover, it won't be compatible with the thinset.

You should never grind the black adhesive, there's a good chance it contains asbestos. Scraping is fine, grinding is not.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Familyman

Old mastic or glue?

thanks
i was afraid of the asbestos thing i didn't think about it until after the fact glad i only did a small test run. i guess the best thing to do is float the uneven areas out with floor patch. what say you
matt700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
First Old House

Old mastic or glue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt700 View Post
what say you
I'll chime in, if you're still following the thread --

I am doing a similar job on a similar surface in a space about 13'x12'. I'm using "Adhesive Remover" that I picked up at a BB store -- it cost me $90 for three 1-gallon jugs, but it is working like a charm. Generally speaking, I put down the adhesive and cover it with a drop cloth. Wait 30 minutes, take up the cloth, and scrape. Next, mop it all up. The mopping is the hardest and longest part, as the adhesive remover will liquidify the glue/mastic/whatever is on the floor. After you scrape, it doesn't look like anything has happened. After you've mopped for about 3 minutes, you'll see it coming up. Do it in 3'x3' patches.

As far as fumes go, it's not bad if you leave a window open and a fan on. I can't even smell the adhesive remover. The worst part is the adhesive itself. Once it liquifies, you can really smell it.
paxprobellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Old mastic or glue?

Still following or not...

Quote:
You CAN NOT use a chemical remover, it won't be compatible with the thinset.
The adhesive remover chemical that permeates into the surface of the concrete can not be removed, even neutralizing would be difficult if possible. This chemical is then reactivated when topped with the moisture and chemicals of the tile thinset mortar adhesive and compromises the bond of the thinset. It ain't just me.....This is industry-wide knowledge.