Old Lineoleum Meets Walls - Please Help - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 39

Old lineoleum meets walls - please help

Hello all,

My 93yr old Mom has linoleum that my now-passed Dad installed probably 25yrs ago. It's in good shape but the caulk along the walls/around tub/etc had cracked and was looking very dirty, old and in need of replacement.

Was going to install 1/4" round molding over it, but it didn't look right AND I saw the walls and floor are not anywhere near flat and true (house was built in '51 and has settled) so there were wild-ranging-gaps everywhere.

So dug the old caulk out then used floor adhesive here and there to stick some lino edges back down.

Now here's the issue: the linoleum was cut by hand and between that and the walls/floor/linoleum shapeshifting over the years, I can re-caulk but it's going to have to be a uniformly fat bead to fill the voids that range up to nearly 3/8ths in. (And it was a fat caulking line to begin with... Dad could build or fix anything but he didn't lay floors professionally.)

Is caulking still the best choice and if so, should I use GE 100% Silicone (tub, tile, 7yrs no mold, lifetime guarantee)... or is silicone a bad choice due to it attracting dirt and dust as I just read elsewhere?... especially with such a fat bead?

I am supposed to finish this job tomorrow (Wed) morn, so any help/advice would be appreciated. I am Mom's daughter and only minimally experienced at DIY so please don't talk shorthand as I might not know what you mean. Thanks guys!

PS The walls are sheetrock and also have to go around a tub and sep shower enclosure. Never had coving or baseboards. And nothing ever got water damaged.

Advertisement

Last edited by Trese; 04-21-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,972

Caulking is the least expensive and easiest fix. I mean, if that's how it was to begin with I would remove the old caulking and simply redo it. This is one instance where silicone caulk would be best. Once it cures it has a glossy (won't get dirty) finish that can be wiped down. The only other option is to get some plastic (not wood) quarter round that is flexible enough to follow the contours of an uneven floor to hide large and small gaps. Hopefully someone else comes along with other options.

Advertisement

Trese (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Caulking is the least expensive and easiest fix. I mean, if that's how it was to begin with I would remove the old caulking and simply redo it. This is one instance where silicone caulk would be best. Once it cures it has a glossy (won't get dirty) finish that can be wiped down. The only other option is to get some plastic (not wood) quarter round that is flexible enough to follow the contours of an uneven floor to hide large and small gaps. Hopefully someone else comes along with other options.
Thanks Gymschu. I was just reading about using glass cleaner or 409 with silicone caulk and am remembering I did that before and it worked well. I think I will mask the joints off this time too.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

Just to wrap this up, I did the job this morning. All went smoothly, though I have to say taping off is a must (for me) for applications where the lines are all uneven and there are different sized gaps to be filled, yet you want a straight uniform bead when done. I can see skipping taping for jobs where the gap is tiny, uniform and everything is square.. but I did the first short wall behind the toilet not bothering to tape and it came out uneven and I will be putting another bead over this one when it dries in a couple days, taping off to make it uniform. I taped the other walls/around tub/shower/etc and it came out looking very nice. Even professional looking.

Of all the tips I read (aside from the one everyone knows of using glass cleaner, soapy water, 409, denatured alcohol or whatever), I saw a guy on YTube who tore up a sheet of newspaper and kept a pile of those handy. Every time he had to stop the gun he used a paper to wipe the nozzle, then tossed to trash. Much better than using my rag. (Rag stayed clearer.)

Thanks again for your help.