Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old house, new kitchen floor

Hi folks, I'm looking for a little guidance on flooring now that I've completely gutted the kitchen in my 1928 house. A few layers of flooring have been removed. What's left is the original subfloor of diagonal 1x10 planking (actually 3/4xVaryingWidths). Joists are 9.5 ft long, 2x8 on 16"c. I have good access from the basement and intend to sister the joists before the finished floor goes on.

The neighboring rooms have 1/2" hardwood strip flooring on top of the same subfloor, but I have already accepted that different floor heights is in my future.

We're pretty flexible on the actual flooring used in the kitchen. Electric in-floor heating is our only requirement. Ceramic tile is the front-runner because it takes in-floor heating well. Laminate flooring doesn't move me, or (importantly) the wife. DIY hardwood doesn't look right to me, and professionally done hardwood is $$! Sheet vinyl/linoleum would be fine, but I'm not sure it's a good match with in-floor heating.

So, assuming ceramic tile is the winner, how do I prep? I'm thinking 1/2" ply on top of the original subfloor to start, but wonder if there should be another layer of backerboard before electric heating elements, thinset, and tile.

I've heard that porcelain is thinner that ceramic, so we may look at that.

Thanks for your help,
Dennis

DSGoose is offline   Reply With Quote