Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old home with no subfloor

Austin, TX home was built in 1949. 3/4" Oak TIG flooring on pier and beam foundation with no subfloor. It's pretty much the same temp inside the house as it is outside, all year long

I'm going to address the insulation issues in the attic and walls (there isn't any). I'm not sure how to tackle the floor. Here's the current plan:

Ripping long strips of plywood and screwing them into the wood flooring from below, then attaching long strips of 1x1 to the flooring joists to support the plywood and take the load off the wood flooring. I'm hoping this will address the few spongy spots in the flooring, as well. I was going to drill small holes in the ply to allow for drainage should any water spill on the flooring. Finally, I'll shoot open cell foam to seal everything up.

I'm planning to allow 1/16th gap on each side of the plywood <-> joist for expansion and movement of the house.

Overall the pier and beam is in excellent shape, and level. The flooring is also in excellent shape which is why I don't want to rip it up. But it could use a good sanding / refinishing which I'll do after its reinforced.

Any recommendations on a different approach? The flooring does expand/contract with the seasons/humidity, although that should be minimized with the insulation and vapor barrier. I'm concerned about attaching the plywood and how it could restrict the flooring movement. Would I be better off with construction adhesive, screws, both, or nothing at all?

Thanks!
Joe

atxjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,012

I would carefully pull up the hardwood to get to the topside of the joists and then lay the plywood. You're idea looks like it would squeak like crazy.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,004

Not an expert but your retrofit looks like it would fail. You would actually be better off just adding the spray foam. That stuff will add some support as well as insulating. Of course the best solution would be removing the flooring, putting subfloor on top of the joists and replacing the flooring.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice.
I hadn't considered the squeaking. The wood flooring was put in immediately after the pier and beam foundation. It is also the subfloor for the whole house and goes under all of the interior/exterior walls. I was hoping this was one of the few things I could leave in place. But with the money I'm putting into the rest of the remodel it makes sense to do this the right way.
atxjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Im not a professional by any means but my suggestion(s) would be 1) remove existing flooring and add a subfloor and then re-install your flooring. 2) Put your subfloor over your floor and install new flooring but you would also have to make sure your existing floor joists can handle the new load.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
subfloor