Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Old hardwood floor seperating

I moved in a few months ago and I got the floor redone (sanded + varnished) and I noticed that the boards are separating. I'm thinking this is normal and has to do with the humidity level being very low, but is it really normal? I never seen newer hardwood floors do it, but they also use bigger planks, so maybe that's why?

Here is a pic of the floor: (don't mind the paw lol)

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

How old? Is it T&G? I've got plank flooring in the older part of my house that has gaps big enough to drop a nickel from the living room into the basement.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

post another picture in the summer time. this is typical of wood contracting during dry times. It 'should' swell back tight in about April.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
post another picture in the summer time. this is typical of wood contracting during dry times. It 'should' swell back tight in about April.
What he said. Yes, normal expansion/contraction. It'll swell back in the spring.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Quote:
That's what I figured would happen, good to know. I hear lot of crack and bangs at night, which I'm pretty sure is the floor "moving".

I'm guessing a humidifier would maybe help (there was one but took it out as it was all crusty and old) , but I don't see this as much of a big issue just wanted to make sure it's not a sign of a bigger problem!

I don't think it's T&G, but hard to tell. The house was built in 1965, and I'm pretty sure it's original. There was carpet on it at some point since there's lot of nail holes around the walls.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:

What he said and make sure that cat is not the culprit.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Tileguy

You can be confident it's t&g. You need a humidifier during heating season and dehumidifier at other times. Not only will your floor shrink, but you'll ruin your furniture and your nose is gonna be dry when you wake.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
msv
Hardwood pro

cracks and bangs at night? are you sure your house isn't haunted?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #9

I'm about to refinish some of my old hardwood floor. I need to match it to the existing floor that I have. The picture you posted looks identical in color to my existing floor. Do you recall what type of varnish/finish you used on your floor?
johnnystep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #10

A good oil-based finish such as Bona Kemi should give you a similar look. Stay away from water-based finish as it will not give you the amber color you are looking for.

Indianapolis Handyman
mr_handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

All I remember is that I went with low reflective type, as the guy who did it said if I went with high reflective, I would see all the defects. There's a bit of a reflection to it, but not enough to see defects. I don't recall the color or brand though.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
carpetrepairguy

That's why we leave a nice gap between the floor and the wall. Wood floor that are installed right up to the wall can actually push the walls around. The contractor can be liable big time.

Steve Gordon
Creative Carpet Repair
carpetrepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #13

What is that duct by the cat paw? Is it heat or cooling duct in the floor? You might be getting a lot of expansion and contraction at that spot because variation in humidity. What about the other parts of the floor?

Frank Lardino
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
Wire Chewer

That's a heating duct. Eventually cooling too once I can afford central air. There's a possibility that had an effect, maybe all the ducting played a role. I never really noticed if the cracks where consistent with ducts though. That one is just one of many that I got, but that was one of the bigger ones. Now I don't have many seperations. The ones I do have may have been there from the start. This is an older floor after all so it wont be perfect.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
That's a heating duct. Eventually cooling too once I can afford central air. There's a possibility that had an effect, maybe all the ducting played a role. I never really noticed if the cracks where consistent with ducts though. That one is just one of many that I got, but that was one of the bigger ones. Now I don't have many seperations. The ones I do have may have been there from the start. This is an older floor after all so it wont be perfect.

The other people here probably have more experience. You are in Ontario so it is more east coast-central plus the lakes & seaways mean damper winters versus say Colorado. I bet when that heat kicks it it is very dry air. Probably lots of expansion near the duct.

Frank Lardino

FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote