Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Slowgo Newbie

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

old 3/4 inch oak flooring with dirty traffic area

I have a very nice 45 year old floor that is the narrow 3/4 inch top nailed oak (about 3/4 inch thick as well). It is in good condition and the previous owners appeared to have sanded and put a sealant or glaze on it. However in the past 2 years at the top of the stairs in a heavy traffic area, due to a large dog we were taking care of with a family member, there is what appears to be dirt in the grain of the wood. I can't find anything to clean it. I tried the dish scubber but it started to remove the finish so I stopped. I feel as if I need something that will go into the grain and lift the grayish dirt in this area and then reseal it?

The rest of the hardwood could use a good shine up and I don't know what to use and would really appreciate some advice. I cannot afford a full restoration at this time (and I am not sure it needs it) and I am afraid if I wax it, it will ruin it. However, I am sure it would have been waxed at some time or another as that is what they did in the 60's.

It has to be one of the nicesest hardwoods I have seen with the range of colors in the oak, it has not been stained and shows colors ranging from blonde to yellow - cherry to walnut.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Appreciate your advice,
Sandra

sw8689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
msv
Hardwood pro

if the grain is getting darker(dirty), that means your finish is worn off... the only way to remove the dark spots is to sand... applying wax or any other type of finish will only cover it. it will still show...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv View Post
if the grain is getting darker(dirty), that means your finish is worn off... the only way to remove the dark spots is to sand... applying wax or any other type of finish will only cover it. it will still show...
100% in agreement.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Slowgo Newbie

thank you, when I look close, this seems to be the case. The place it has happened is the board on top of the top of the stairs, the landing, the first few boards. Could I sand these by hand and apply a sealer or wax and then still be able to have the whole floor redone a few years down the way. (the stairs are tile).

Is a floor refinishing an expensive endeavour when the floor is in good shape but just needs a good top finish?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #5

If you have a pic that might help
Having the floor refinished depends upon if the floor is worn down
If worn down & discolored due to traffic then it is more work to sand down
Unless you are going with a darker color that will cover the "stained" wood

We had 2 rooms done & the main entry - they were not bad - some scratches = about $700
But that was 6 years ago...& prices can vary widely by location
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Slowgo Newbie

thanks Dave, that helps. The wood isn't worn much and the color is amazing and natural with so many shades from blonde to cherry and walnut. We love it so all I think we need is to get rid of some of the ground it dirt that has happened over the last four years (from an inherited dog with my Mother-inlaw) and polish it all up again. But I like the price even though it was six years ago.