Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

Okay, help me get his straight

I just got the side entrance in, mudded, taped, and trimmed out. I was feeling pretty good and figured I would get to do some fishing.

My wife goes to the store and brings home tile for the bathroom.

The fish like my wife as they get to live a while longer.

Anyhow, here is my situation.

The bathroom is down to the fir diagonal fir boards on the joists. I have 7/8" to the transition to the hallway to play with.

One floor guy tells me I should use Redguard to seal the floor, then put down 1/2" cement board using mortar and screws and then put down the tile. He said to seal the cracks in the fir with mortar before using Redguard.

Another floor guy tells me to glue/screw down some 1/4" OSB/plywood, then the Redguard, then 1/4" cement board, then the tile. He says the Redguard will not seal the floor due to the large cracks in the fir.

This makes more sense since it seems to seal the floor better by sealing over the OSB/plywood versus the fir boards.

So, any advice?

If I don't get back to you I have gone fishing, er, I mean, to the hardware store, yea, that's the ticket.

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 10-21-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
One floor guy tells me I should use Redguard to seal the floor, then put down 1/2" cement board using mortar and screws and then put down the tile. He said to seal the cracks in the fir with mortar before using Redguard.
Have the guy that said THAT, show you in any of the rule books where THAT PROCEDURE is acceptable to anyone. Then when he can't do it consider him a hack and move away from his ideas promptly.

Quote:
Another floor guy tells me to glue/screw down some 1/4" OSB/plywood, then the Redguard, then 1/4" cement board, then the tile. He says the Redguard will not seal the floor due to the large cracks in the fir.
WHERE do you find these characters?
Anyone in-the-know is aware that 1/4" plywood cannot be used in any kind of rigid tile installation. The absolute minimum ply/thickness is 3/8".
And...WHY THE REDGARD at that point? Is it to save the 1/4" plywood that he knows shouldn't be there to begin with?

THEN, there is no mention of the required thinset under the cement board that is REQUIRED by the TCNA and every cement board manufacturer in the U.S.

Quote:
He says the RedGard will not seal the floor due to the large cracks in the fir.
DUH!!! Ya think?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #3

One guy was the "pro" at the tile shop where my wife got the tile.

The other guy is doing a flip across the street.

I wanted the Redgard to seal the bathroom floor. I have a bedroom below it and we have a Jacuzzi tub in there. If it gets too full and the bubbles are turned on it will spray water over the floor. I wanted something to protect the bedroom below.

So what do you suggest?

I was going to go with 1/2" cement board with thinset and screwed to the floor.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Tileguy

If you want to waterproof the room you do it below the tile and above the substrate. Meaning on top of the cement board. But, you also have to flash up the walls and waterproof that also. The junctures will require fabric or tape. What about the door? How you going to contain water in the room with the door there? You also have to seal at the tub edge below and above the tile.

I kid you not......those guys have no idea what they are talking about if that's what they are telling you.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
If you want to waterproof the room you do it below the tile and above the substrate. Meaning on top of the cement board. But, you also have to flash up the walls and waterproof that also. The junctures will require fabric or tape. What about the door? How you going to contain water in the room with the door there? You also have to seal at the tub edge below and above the tile.

I kid you not......those guys have no idea what they are talking about if that's what they are telling you.
That's why I asked. It all sounded too weird to me and the guy across the street is really "interesting".

I also wonder about the tile "pro" at the store that sold my wife the tile. If he was so good at it why is he selling tile and not make a lot more money installing it???

I have never put down tile on a floor as ripped up as mine. I have done a lot of concrete tiling over the years.

My big concern is that I keep the water contained. It is not a lot of water but my grandkids did a little too much bubble bath and I had water all over the bed downstairs. I was a mess and took several weeks to get it all dried out.

Then my brother in law.....don't get me started on that one. Needless to say I expected more from him that my grandkids. Big mistake.

I should disconnect the bubbles option.

At the door I intend to put a drain the whole length of the threshold. I already made the tin made for it and it is right above the condensate pump for my furnace. It is only about 3/4" wide and the threshold will cover it with small holes to drain it away.

I am putting rock up the wall so that it will be contained if it ever happens again.

The Redgard literature said to do it the way you mentioned but the tile guy told me otherwise.....go figure. I already had the 1/2" rock in my truck and I unloaded it till I got this sorted out.

My first mission is to screw the boards down. They creak and squeak when someone walks in there.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #6

Quote:
why is he selling tile and not make a lot more money installing it???
Selling or installing....hmmm....
I think selling still makes good money and you don't have to get your knees drained
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Get out of the box!

Install a 3/4 plywood over the fir and use Ditra.
Throw the Redgard in the trash or go paint the town with it!
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Tileguy

DITRA costs more than RedGard and you would still have to flash the walls with someting. Either tape/fabric and RedGard or KERDI Band, or something.

My suggestion is less costly.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Get out of the box!

You can go piant Buds floor!

Caviar cost more than catfish.
Steak more than groundbeef
Wine more than water
Porcelian more than ceramic.
Shall I go on?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Caviar cost more than catfish.
Catfish is still tasty.

Quote:
Steak more than groundbeef
Steak in my spaghetti?

Quote:
Wine more than water
In the desert? no thanx-

Quote:
Porcelian more than ceramic
Not always

Quote:
Shall I go on?
Please...this is fun.

Point is there is still a time and place for other options. Just because it's more expensive and higher end does not mean the other stuff is not allowed.
I do however appreciate your pro opinion on using the very best.
I just do not want to promote the other products as being a waste.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Get out of the box!

Steak in spagetti..... hmmm that could start something.

Redgard is good for its intended use, I have used it.
I just limit the application then put Ditra over it.
Call it overkill.

I cannot bring myself to apply tile directly over Redgard unless the customer is expecting the cost difference and warranty issue

Trust me, I did a whole motel (bathrooms) with RedGard and mesh,back in the day....
Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Steak in spagetti..... hmmm that could start something.
I thought the same thing when I posted it.

Quote:
Call it overkill
Nothing wrong with that