Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #1

Share |

Oil or Water based Polly?

I am thinking about re-finishing my floors myself, but wanted some guidance regarding Polly.
I have read a little regarding Oil vs Water based, but wanted opinions what works best, and holds up the best as well.
I have a fairly new home with hardwood that was finished by the builder. he didnt do all that great of a job, and the poly is actually peeling and flaking at the bottom of our stairs.
Should I go with Water or Oil? Any name brands i should use, or stay away from?
Is a belt sander the way to go, or can i use the random 3 pad style sander that Lowes rents out. (Varathane)
What Grit should i start out with, and then finish with? (Foors are in ok shape).
how many coats of polly should u put down, and in between coats of polly, do you re-sand, and if so do you do it by hand?
David_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #2

Oil or Water based Polly?

Major differences:

Water based: clear finish (no yellowing which may/may not be desirable), easy clean up, faster drying, requires more coats for the same level of finish as oil based, more expensive.

Oil: Slow drying, yellows, fewer coats, cheaper, harder clean up, stinks.

In my experience Oil based is much easier to apply as the way it flows it levels easier.

However:

IMO, this is a losing battle as far as ROI. Hire a pro and get it over with. I believe in DIY, but I also know limitations.

Last edited by Bubbagump; 10-13-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote