Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #1

Share |

Oak Floors two Questions on Finish Nailer

1. I installed hardwood floors on the first floor of my house. I had a few areas under the lower cabinets where I used my Paslode 16ga finish nailer. A few of these nail heads did not counter sink. I tried to counter sink by hand but I do not have anything that will work with the paslode finish nails. Everything keeps slipping off. I am looking for any tips, trips or suggestions to get these face nailed heads counter sunk.

2. I have a small hallway upstairs and some left over boxes of floorings. I'd like to install oak in that hallway but using a floor nailer will limited at best. Is the Pasload finish nailer OK to use to nail down the tongue?

Thanks in advance

screamon demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

You can use a finish nailer to nail in the tounge close to the wall. When you can no longer fit the nailer you should use liquid nail and glue the last boards. you may need to cut peices of board to wedge to the wall to keep the boards tight until the glue sets up. Since you have extra wood I would redo up against the cabinets and glue them. NO nail should ever be in the suface of the wood.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

thanks for the reply. What about using the 16ga finish nailer for the whole install in a tight hallway? i wont be able to swing the hammer for the floor nailer
Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamon demon View Post
I used my Paslode 16ga finish nailer. A few of these nail heads did not counter sink. I tried to counter sink by hand but I do not have anything that will work with the paslode finish nails.
What air pressure are you getting to the nailer???

are you using a punch with a concave tip??

I would recommend that instead of using your nailer that you buy 1 1/2" or 2" spiral nails and predrill the tongues on an angle and nail by hand. It is time consuming, but it will give you a firmer bond. you little finishing nailer is not the right tool for hardwood.

Put down construction or tar paper between the subfloor and hardwood to prevent squeaking..

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #5

I am not sure of the air pressure it is an angled finish nailer from Paslode (gas operated). There is an adjustment for depth.

I did not know they sold a punch with a concave tip

I did some hand nailing during the first floor install I will give that whirl. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
DIY staff

There is a plunger type of nail set --has a sleeve with a driving pin inside--made by Stanley(I think)

Google Image Result for http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009OYGT.01-A2N6NO8W19JCUN._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Put the sleeve over the nail head and hit the pin--works great--I've had mine for years -Mike--