Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

Oak flooring

I have two rooms with old oak flooring in them. we are dormering house and they have to come up. I am trying to find someone or someplace that buys old floors. Any help would be great thanks
chappy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Oak flooring

If they are removed carefully without busting the T&G, and you pull the nails out through the back (never pound them forward) or grind them off, listing them on Craig's List or in the local paper might be your best bet. If you don't want to risk taking them up, you could offer them in place for the buyer to remove. I've done so many times and rescued some beautiful antique hardwood flooring. It isn't rocket science but you have to think backwards of the way they were installed, go slow, and not just yank on nails. Get money upfront and non-refundable in the case of allowing someone else to do the removal of course.

There are companies that recycle old wood floors. You will have to search online to find one near you. I think you will do better with CL or something like it though. The ad will be free so why not give one a try and see what happens?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #3

Oak flooring

Thanks for the info. I will probably rip myself. Try and post it on craigslist. hopefully someone wants it
Old 02-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Oak flooring

Just another quick thought before you take it out? I would take some pics so can show what it looks like in place?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

Oak flooring

what is your flooring like. i am looking for 2 inch red oak flooring that is 1/4 inch thick w/o tongue and groove. We are planning to take down the wall between our kitchen and dining room and would like to match the flooring as closely as possible.
daryl
darylbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #6

Oak flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbe View Post
what is your flooring like. i am looking for 2 inch red oak flooring that is 1/4 inch thick w/o tongue and groove. We are planning to take down the wall between our kitchen and dining room and would like to match the flooring as closely as possible.
daryl

Hey daryl
Not sure if the floor i have is what your looking for. My floor is 2" wide solid oak. Think is about 1/2 to 3/4 quarters thick. Floor was put down in 1945,very old but really is in great shape.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #7

Oak flooring

when you pull up a piece can you let me know the thickness. I suspect it is probably the same as mine, and i would be interested. Do you live in the NY city area. although we live in southern new jersey we have relatives in New York and do visit. Also I have some pieces that i pulled up from a closet when we enlarged a bathroom, and i could send you a small piece for comparison.
daryl
darylbe is offline   Reply With Quote