Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

oak floor install on hardibacker board?

We are getting ready to put a new oak floor 3/4 thick/5 inch wide planks on plywood floor of our new great room floor. We also want to do existing floor in small room that has laminate flooring/hardibacker board/plywood, my question is can we peel off the laminate which is the self sticking kind that is supposed to look like wood and just nail the new oak floor onto the hardibacker board or do we need to pull this up as well? Whew.

Thanks for the advise in advance!
Cowgirltuf

cowgirltuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

the only problem i see in doing so is that your new floor is probably floating. if there is adhesive still remaining it might prevent it from that and start to buckle. maybe put underlayment under to prevent that.

chad4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,080

The new flooring is 3/4" thick oak, I doubt it's 3/4" engineered which maybe could be floated? I'm gonna bet it's the standard nail-down type.

Operantly the two areas are not together since they would be different heights. The only possible problem I see is that the fasteners would penetrate the subfloor less because of the backer board. May not matter?

As for the HardieBacker you say is on the floor of the small room, are you sure it's Hardie? I wonder why anyone would install tile backer under laminate. Maybe it's 1/4" lauan or some kind of underlayment?

Specifically which wood do you have? Some 5" wide or wider hardwoods may require adhesive in addition to nailing.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #4

Our new floor for the great room and the small room is from Lowes, 3/4 solid oak 5inch wide planks which are to be nailed down only. The hardibacker was put down because we were going to tile and then changed our minds, the hardibacker was already down so we put the laminate right on top which has worked fine but now that we can afford to do the oak floor in both rooms we want to make sure it doesn't buckle. The great room we're fine with it is the small room that is a concern, what about using a longer nail on the wood floor to get thru to the main
subfloor which is plywood and pier and beam.

thanks again,
Cowgirltuf
Old 12-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,454

Don't depend on the Hardie to hold a nail, I doubt it will. Going completely through the Hardie may be OK.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #6

It sounds like my best bet will be to pull up the hardiback and put the floor directly on the plywood floor, it is only a small floor 12X12 easy to unscrew and then we can use the hardiback someplace we are going to tile.

Thanks for the advice.
Cowgirltuf