NY Bluestone Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

NY Bluestone flooring

I am in a green building class and we are building a straw bale shed (for garden tools). I am looking to use NY Bluestone and either crushed stone or stone dust instead of a mortar mix. We will not be using a cement slab for the floor so I was wondering what the best way to do the flooring would be. Do I need a wire and felt paper moisture barrier under the crushed stone or above the stone layer that the rocks would be on? I want the project to be as green as possible so do not want to use cement or anything like that but do want to make it long lasting without moisture problems or major shifting problems. I would like to know the best method for laying the crushed stone and bluestone over the packed dirt ground. The project is in NY. Thanks!

Advertisement

punkin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #2

NY Bluestone flooring

i have experience in useing nature stone for the ground.my house is using it for the ground now.i give you an picture to have a look. anything you need is sandand slate to make it,that's very easy.you'll get the best way to hold the quantily of heat and save energy.cause the slate is nature. sorry about my poor english .cause i'm still in learning english now.

Advertisement

Last edited by silence xu; 05-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.
silence xu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #3

NY Bluestone flooring

What was the process you used with the sand, water and slate? Did you put a waterproof membrane of any kind under it?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #4

NY Bluestone flooring

no not need anything sand and slate is enough. water is used to make the sand unknit ,upstair the sand is the slate.that's the way i make it.when the water becoming to the wapour ,the sand is becoming hard to . sorry about my poor english. wish you could understand what i have said.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #5

NY Bluestone flooring

so the sand and water was used for the foundation and for your mortar/grout? The shed we are using does not have a cement foundation- just dirt so I was trying to find out if I need to use any waterproof membrane under the crushed rock/sand to keep moisture from the bare ground from coming up. I appreciate you helping me with this. I think I am understanding you. I have tried to learn other languages several times and was not successful so I think it is great you are in the process of learning (I found it too hard for me and gave up!).
Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #6

NY Bluestone flooring

the answer is no, in fact the slate and the sand are all nature,do you see the line in the picture,that's the answer.it likes use the net to get the water. the water can transpire to the air .so there is no water. but if use the cement ,there is an whole space with no break,it's hard to let the water transpire to the air. get my point?

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 12-31-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: removed e-mail link
Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

NY Bluestone flooring

That is great to know! I am understanding you. Thank you. If I have any more questions I will email you. I appreciate your responses. It helped a lot.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #8

NY Bluestone flooring

You are welcome punkin, i just shares the chinese experience with you .by the way ,do you use the tool MSN?

Last edited by silence xu; 05-02-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #9

NY Bluestone flooring

No, I use AIM and Yahoo but not MSN.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #10

NY Bluestone flooring

could you please kindly give your yahoo ID to me? i want to learn more english and get more information about american

Last edited by silence xu; 05-03-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #11

NY Bluestone flooring

My yahoo messenger ID is hatebreed454

Advertisement

Tags
bluestone , floor , green , moisture barrier