Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Share |

Now for sanding the floor,

many thanks or the info guys. now for sanding the floor, i need to buy a cheap sander because i will probably only be using it once. i need to sand the floor of a room that is about 260 square feet. I have a gift card from home depot so i will probably get it there but which one? and any type of specific sand paper?

wadelee218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadelee218 View Post
many thanks or the info guys. now for sanding the floor, i need to buy a cheap sander because i will probably only be using it once. i need to sand the floor of a room that is about 260 square feet. I have a gift card from home depot so i will probably get it there but which one? and any type of specific sand paper?
I have cheap floor sanders available. The orbital random thing wobbles a lot because bearings are broken or something. There is a 60 grit stuck to the drum sander. It weighs what the machines that surface ice for hockey cost.

Send me postage and I will mail them and get rid of something out of storage.

Trust me. I have actually never sanded a floor myself. I started once. A bubba left me these things. They are in much better shape then the horrid stuff rented by HD. If you must rent a tool, never do so from minimum wage orange aproned box store persons.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Made the flooring questions into their own thread.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Remodeler

Do yourself a favor and go rent a floor sander.

If the wood is in fair shape and just needs new finish then you want an orbital pad sander. These machines cost thousands of dollars, but this is what they are made for. You can rent it for around $50/day and easily be done in part of one day. This is much quicker and far easier than trying to use a hand sander. The large pad size will give you more professional results and a nice smooth level surface. You could easily give $100 for a cheap hand sander and it might not even live long enough to complete the job.

The fact you can operate one of these sanders while standing up is worth a lot!

If your floor is in bad condition you may want to start out by renting a drum sander. This will remove more material faster, stripping the finish and top layers of the wood, then it can be further sanded with an orbital to bring it to finish ready condition.

We refinished the floors in my wife's dance studio, thousands of square feet. The building had been used as a construction shop for many years and the floors had taken an incredible amount of abuse. It is almost unbelievable how well they cleaned up.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote