Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

not so perfect wood floor finishing

We recently sanded, stained and applied polyurethane to our wood floors. You can tell where we started and stopped with the applicator or where we might have overlapped. We tried so hard not let this happen. It's quick drying so we had to work fast. It was difficult to make sure not to spread it too thin or too thick and to keep a wet edge. It's not real noticeable but I would like it to look better. We have already applied 3 coats, sanding between coats. Does anyone know if buffing will even things out? I hate to sand again and reapply because I'm afraid it will just turn out the same.

dctemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #2

Waterborne finish, I assume?

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #3

No, oil-base.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

buffing will help, but the poly needs to be applied correctly. The applicator must go from wall to wall with no stops. Thin your material and use something to slow the drying time if you need to.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #5

it can be tough going wall to wall and keeping a wet edge and not overlapping!!

what are you uising for an applicator?

What I find works best is a lambswool pad on a applicator pad with a broomstick.
Put the poly in a paint pan ontop of a towel so it can be moved along easily.
wet your appliactor and run it out wall to wall. can usually do 3 boards ..make sure you go with the grain. not a big deal if you overlap boards as long as you have someone standing back and watching for runs or puddles.

My wife is awesome at telling me where i Missed or screwed up.
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

It sounds like we did it just like you said. The only thing is, we found it hard to start at one end and go all the way to the other end (18 ft. )without stopping to refill the applicator. We also went over places where we could see that we missed. All of these places showed up when it dryed. Just wondering if anything can be done without starting over. My husband says that is not a possibility!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #7

Thanks for your reply. What do you suggest we thin it with and what to add to slow down drying time?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 AM   #8

yes you will have to refill the applicator. thats why I like to have the paintpan on a towel and right there. the polly wont dry that quickly to reload and go back over a little where you left off.

We also have good luck with 2 people applying from the walls and meeting in the middle. just be careful that your both applying at the same rate and pressing about the same. when you meet the middle one person just go over the other by a foot or so.

attach pics when your done.

keep in mind once furniture rugs etc are in place you wont notice some imprefections.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctemple View Post
Thanks for your reply. What do you suggest we thin it with and what to add to slow down drying time?
Here's what I would do. Start with a buffer & 120 or 150 grit sandscreen. Screen the floor. Light sanding basically. If you don't have a buffer available, use a sheetrock sanding pole. More labor intensive, but will work just fine. All you're trying to do is feather out any puddles, nock off any roughness & just generally abrade the floor so the next coat of poly will adhear well.

Once abraded, clean with a lint free cloth wet with mineral spirits. Clean twice. Do you have a lambswool applicator? If not, get one, it's how us professionals do it with great results. Poly is probably the easiest finish to keep a wet edge on, but the key is to use enough finish. Don't be stingy, poly is self leveling.

Start by cutting in the edges all the way around the room. Next, take your lambswool all the way around the room, extending the cut in. Again, don't be stingy, but don't go so heavy as to leave puddles. Now for the field. Don't be afraid to pour puddles out in front of the applicator. Best results come when you're running a slight puddle in front of the applicator.

You asked what to thin with? Odorless paint thinner or naptha. About 10-15% for the final coat. I like naptha personally, but it's more pricey.

Good luck, if I've failed to answer any questions, feel free to ask more, I'll do my best to help you solve your problems.

"What have I done", that's an awesome looking floor. Did you install that yourself? Is that an oshkosh border? or something else? Good job, you do good work.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

you use a retarder to extend the drying time. Natpha 5-10% is good for thinning. Apply as you are now. But you can still lightly drag the applicator from end to end to get a smooth finish.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #11

Wink

Wow! Thanks everyone. I feel so much better about this. Now, all I have to convince my husband that it will be worth it to try one more time!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #12

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT on my floors. yes my wife, my kids and installed the floors and finished them off. It is the main level of our home. Just over 1000 sq ft. Living room, dining room, kitchen, breakfast nook and a couple hallways. here's the thread to our project. Dont mean to hijack your post but you brought it up

go here -------> new wood flooring

good luck with your floors.