Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #1

Share |

Non cement based floor leveler /patch

Is there a non cement based floor leveler/patch?

I want to level, smooth and patch some spots on a subfloor before I put carpet down, but I am afraid the cement will be heavy and/or crack.

Thanks

troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Tileguy

For under carpeting a non Portland cement patch would be fine, just be sure whatever you use is made for wood subfloors. You might have to mix the powder with an additive. There are many out there.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #3

Jaz, my question was more along the lines of can someone reccommend one?

I havent seen one at lowes or homedepot. If anyone has a link please provide it.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 AM   #4

if you need to support the apron store, look in the tile section next to the hardibacker/wonderboard stacks.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #5

I did look there, everything was portland cement based that I saw.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Tileguy

It has been proven over the yrears that Portland cement based patching products are more durable and more reliable (in most cases) than any of the others. I don't understand the insistance on a non-cement material. The issue of weight is a moot point in this case.

Home centers carry several of the products in either form, you can make your own selection.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Tileguy

It's very simple. You go to the hardware store and read a few boxes or bags that are labeled "patching stuff" or whatever. We don't know where you are. We don't know what brands you have a choice of. There must be hundreds of possible choices?

I have no idea why weight popped into your head. Hopefully you're only repairing a small area that is maybe the thickness of one ply? Almost anything that sticks to wood will work under carpeting.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Doer of Many Things

I just poured 800 lbs. of cement based self leveler on an upstairs wooden subfloor for radiant heat. Not a bit of problem with it. Go to Lowes and get the Laticrete 86 kits (rated for use on ext. grade plywood) and stop worrying so much about the weight. Worry more about the quality of the work you have to live with.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #9

I know...this is a reply to a very old post, but I think someone needs to step in and give an alternative.

The guy asked a simple question about alternatives to a cementitious floor leveler. None of you gave him an alternative.

For small areas which need to be filled, some have used Bondo or another type of automotive patch. But it's expensive for even small areas, let alone what it would take to fill a very large area. They used it because they were putting a nail down floor of bamboo. One CANNOT use a cementitious compound such a case. Oh yes, there will be some knothead who will say you can use it, but there are always people who speak out of their back door and build crappy construction routinely.

Last edited by ClaudeBallz; 07-08-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: less of a flame
ClaudeBallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Every store has it's own brand of gypsum based floor filler. But without knowing where this peson lives or shops, it's impossible to give them a brand name. I wouldn't use it even under carpet. It tends to break up over time.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote