Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

NOISY laminate floor with SuperSeal

Hi!
I'm new here (and new to DIY home improvements) and I'm having an issue with my basement flooring that I desperately need help with!

After doing a lot of research we decided to put in SuperSeal in our basement before putting laminate flooring on top. Superseal is like Platon or Delta and you can get it from Home Depot for a decent price. You're supposed to be able to lay it directly on concrete then you lay your underlay and laminate directly on top. We have a good quality 12mm thick laminate. So far we have done two bedrooms and it's incredible loud. It makes a scratchy sound with each step. My husband read somewhere that once the whole room is done it shouldn't make sounds but ours still does. We're doing about 1000 square feet and I'm really worried that it won't go away. I don't want to lay any more in case it keeps doing this. Does anybody have any experience with SuperSeal or a similar product and have any advice for me?? It is a poured concrete basement and should be level. The spots I've tested seemed to be. Thanks for your help!

lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #2

All I can suggest is that you contact the laminate manufacturer. I suspect the under lay and super seal are not compatible and somehow rubbing causing the noise. Just remembered, I recently read that the underlay should be installed with the vapor barrier/smooth side up. Not sure what super seal properties are or what it is for though. I presume it is also some sort of vapor barrier. No?

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Is this laminate rated for below grade?
What kind of vapor barrier did you put down?
Did you stagger your seams 12"?

I thought superseal was liquid?.... Is it or is it ditra texture?
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!

Superseal is not a liquid though that brand may make a liquid too! It's like platon, or the dimpled plastic side of dricore. It's a hard plastic that lets your concrete floor 'breathe" and makes your floor warmer, acts as a vapor barrier etc. The laminate flooring we have is rated for below grade. I read somewhere else that landscape fabric works well between the concrete and Superseal. We just tried that in a small room and it works wonderfully! Not a single sound when we walk on the laminate! If anybody has a similar problem try the landscape fabric underneath. Apparently it's often the sound of the plastic shifting against the concrete that people hear. A representative for a company that sells a product similar to Superseal recommended a spun polypropelene landscape fabric.
lovely is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delta, laminate, platon, superseal, underlay