Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

No subfloor!

Hello Experts,

I truly appreciate your time and expertise in this and really need some direction here. the issue is as follows

My wife and I bought a house built in 1926 in NJ. We decided that we wanted to replace the second floor flooring. I went to lumber liquidators and bought the needed replacement flooring. Its 5/8ths flooring.

My original plan was to rip out the old flooring down to the old subfloor, install 3/4ths plywood over the existing subfloor and lay the 5/8ths flooring over that. Seemed pretty straight forward. Now the issues.

I went to home depot to buy subfloor. From my research i learned that I should be using 3/4ths inch tongue and groove plywood. Home depot didnt have 3/4ths ply, so after a discussion with the home depot guy, I settled on 3/4 T&G OSB. Which saved me some money anyway. so now all the questions

Should I rip out the old flooring down to the joists?

I have read that flooring can be a structural part of the house, Is there risk associated with removing the flooring?

Is the 3/4ths OSB that I have an adequate subfloor or should i return it and go for plywood?

Should I leave the existing flooring in place and just put the OSB on top of the existing floor? ( not my favorite idea)

The room walls are built ontop of this flooring, If i remove the flooring, do I have to worry about removing the flooring under the walls or can i just cut the existing flooring flush with the wall?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time. Thanks in advance for the help! If you need pictures, please let me know!

AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

No subfloor!

Hey Adam,

Why do you think you need a new subfloor in the first place? What is the subfloor? Removing the subfloor will create several new problems. You can NOT remove the subfloor under the wall nor should you.

Reply with why remove and what the subfloor is made of. How wide are the new 5/8" wood planks?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #3

No subfloor!

Hey Jaz,

Thanks for the quick reply. So the flooring on the 2nd floor has no subfloor at all. It looks to be hearth pine planks layed directly across the joists. This flooring is extremely noisy has pretty decent sized gaps between a good portion of the boards. Its pretty banged up.

The new flooring is 3 1/4 wide. I would not put this flooring directly over the existing flooring.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Tileguy

No subfloor!

Adam, those pine planks ARE the subfloor. You should fasten any loose boards (removes noise and bounce), and replace any that are damaged. No reason that I know of you shouldn't go over them....however if you wanna add more ply, that is always a good thing. You do not need 3/4" over those planks, but you can. Consider the added thickness and the first step, (should be 7" rise), you'll need to "correct" all or most of the steps riser measurements.

A quality OSB is acceptable, but ply holds the fasteners better.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,004

No subfloor!

Ripping out all of your old subfloor is an ambitious project and probably unnecessary. You should go as conservative with that as you can in my experience- only try to replace the damaged spots. The part that can compromise your structural integrity is along the periphery of the house. There, your subfloor is sandwiched in between top and bottom plates or rim joists. If a section of subfloor must be removed along the edge, it must be chiselled out from between this wood sandwich.

I started out determined to remove the entire subfloor of my 5X8 bathroom Jim's downstairs bathroom project but decided it unwise to cut out all the healthy wood. What matters is that you replace the damage with a matching thickness of wood. I like the Advantech over OSB but it cost about the same as CDX which is twice as much as regular OSB. You can't use a glue down floor with Advantech but solid wood flooring is nailed down so that's not an issue.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #6

No subfloor!

It would be impossible to go directly over them without putting down some form of plywood or OSB. At somepoint the edges of both the new flooring and the old floor would line up and I would have nothing to properly staple the new flooring to, as I would be hitting a gap. so ultimately, your feeling is that I should just put down the OSB over the existing flooring? That would probably be the easiest way to tackle this. The height of the floor in relation to the steps does concern me. Going this way, I will add just a bit over 1" of flooring. Not horrible I suppose.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

No subfloor!

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the response. We bought the new flooring and it is indeed going in. Its not a question at this point if we are going to install the new flooring, its just how we are going to do it.

So is the general consensus that I install the 3/4th OSB over the existing flooring and lay the 5/8ths flooring over the OSB?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,004

No subfloor!

First tackle the issues with loose and squeaking boards as best as possible. After that, you may not nees to go quite as thjick as the 3/4 OSB you bought. You can probably return that if you decide it is too thick. You may be able to get away with 1/2 inch over those old pine boards.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Tileguy

No subfloor!

That's what I'm saying.

BTW, pertaining to the gap you're likely to encounter several times. The cleats or staples go into the floor at about a 45 angle and are 2" long. (the cleats I've used are anyway). You hit every joists and then a fastener in between. You should mark the location of the joists on the new subfloor.

Jaz

Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
Wood Flooring & Carpentry

No subfloor!

The pine you have down now is the subfloor like others have stated. It would be wise to install plywood over the existing pine, because of the existing floors expansion, and contraction. If you were to install directly on top in the same direction you would have abnormal gapping between the boards in the winter time.

I usually install a minimum of 1/2" plywood (depends on height issues). Glue it down with PL400, and screw it directly into the floor joists underneath every 6 inches using a 2" coarse threaded screw. If done correctly you will eliminate all squeaks in the existing subfloor.

Before you install the finished flooring, make sure to perform a moisture test, and a humidity test, to know how long the floor needs to properly acclimate.

Good Luck
lawndart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #11

No subfloor!

Thank you all for the responses. While I agree that considering i am putting a subfloor over the existing floor, 3/4th may be alittle thick, My back hurts just thinking about returning the 20 4x8's i purchased. Unless you think this would be a big deal can i just stick with the 3/4ths?

Also, is the OSB a big deal considering the usage or do i really need to return the OSB for actual plywood?

Also, do you recommend i put rosin paper between the old floor and the new subfloor? Thanks for the input!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

No subfloor!

Nail the pine boards down and go ever it with 7/16 OSB , I would say 1/2 OSb but it is not 1/2 , It's an odd number maybe 15/32 or something , But very close to 1/2 , The 3/4 would be a bit much , But you have it there so if you don't mind adding the extra hieght then go for it , I would buy a quart dispenser and 5 1qt tubes of sunfloor adhesive , Put it down in strips so it gets squash out and makes up for undulations in the floor . The right way is to make the 3/4 end on a joist , Stis may take you cutting all the ends at the wall . Wich won't end on a joist near the wall .Cause the joist will be under the wall . tacomahardwoodfloors.com

tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote