DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

no glue vinyl floor (armstrong)

30K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Floorwizard 
#1 ·
I am considering using 'no glue' vinyl floor in the kitchen. Has anyone had any experience with this? Its new to me and seems too good to be true - can lay over existing vinyl floor and no glue! I would appreciate any pros/cons anyone may have. Thanks.

#2 ·
"no glue" vinyl installations are not new they're just a cheaper ? way of placing a vinyl floor over an existing one. Years ago we did many in apartments where the tenant did not care for the "look" that was the kitchen floor but landlord either refused to redo or did not allow the tenant to place a new gluedown floor over the old, so we would loose lay a new vinyl over the old. My opinion is that it is a temporary floor and will not wear as well as a glued down over a properly prepared substrate.

#3 ·
The ones that I've installed were more fibreglass than vinyl and they wear very well. Not cheap either, around $5/sq.ft. All that is needed is to seal the edges with silicone caulk. Guaranteed not to shrink or expand. Very easy to work with as it won't buckle if you fold it. Looks pretty decent too, I love the stuff.

#4 ·
Yeah, they sd it was basically fiberglass. There is a special type of tape that you use to bond it to the floor. Armstrong also sells an install kit that guarantees a perfect install (if you miscut, they will replace the flooring (up to 26 sq yds).

Im going to get some today and install it Tuesday. Ill let you know how it goes....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.