Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Meep!

Rewards Points: 75

Next project- the "Y" shower

I love my YMCA shower in the master, but the previous owners weren't too keen on repairing this thing the right way. Looking forward to tearing all of this out and finishing it correctly.

Joe Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Dirt For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-30-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Meep!

Almost 5 months to the day, and a bunch of other problems that cropped up in the meantime that needed fixing first, I'm ready to go for the fix.

So I have this shower floor to redo, and I've never done tile before, let alone a shower floor repair. Here is what I'd like to accomplish-

1.) I don't want to tear the whole shower out. Why? We may be combining two bathrooms into one large master bath in about 10 years if we stay here for a spell, so I really don't want to redo the entire thing. I just don't want it to start leaking profusely...

2.) I'd like to put in something that I can add to if I decide to redo the entire bathroom as it's own entity- if I redo the floor now, is it feasible that can I tear out the top later and still save and leave the floor in place and just replace above it when redoing the rest of the shower later if the route ends up going that way?

Thoughts and/or any special things to think about/remind me of? I'm thinking a sandstone hue would work best, since if the shower gets redone, that's the color palate I'd use.

Last edited by Joe Dirt; 07-02-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Not really sure what the question is ... Are you asking how to make sure that shower doesn't leak? If you're worried about something that you may do in another 10 years versus what it takes to make it right now (and for the next 10 years) then a bit difficult to advise as you don't design bathrooms with the intention to be able to take it apart easily. Bit confused as to what you're looking for.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Meep!

Sorry if it was a bit foggy- I was wondering if it was feasible to replace the floor of the shower and one row on the wall, and expect that I can finish the rest later if we decide not to tear out the bathroom, or if once the floor is done, I'd have to tear everything out to redo the walls since it would be too difficult to pull out the wall tiles and not damage the newer floor and bottom row... Not really worried about the re-using of the floor now as realistically, it's only going to be about $50-100 worth of materials...

I guess my main intention for now is to stop a possible leak. I guess I'm apprehensive since I've seen a lot of renovations start with just doing this "one fix" and end up with the entire room needing to be torn out to the studs to fix other stuff that may or may not have been needed in the first place but were done since it was "easier to do it now than after it's put together. We really can't afford to do that right now since there are other issues to take care of on the house, so I'm stuck trying to fix just the floor so we don't have issues with it in the short term...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
www.No-Curb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
Sorry if it was a bit foggy- I was wondering if it was feasible to replace the floor of the shower and one row on the wall, and expect that I can finish the rest later if we decide not to tear out the bathroom, or if once the floor is done, I'd have to tear everything out to redo the walls since it would be too difficult to pull out the wall tiles and not damage the newer floor and bottom row... Not really worried about the re-using of the floor now as realistically, it's only going to be about $50-100 worth of materials...

I guess my main intention for now is to stop a possible leak. I guess I'm apprehensive since I've seen a lot of renovations start with just doing this "one fix" and end up with the entire room needing to be torn out to the studs to fix other stuff that may or may not have been needed in the first place but were done since it was "easier to do it now than after it's put together. We really can't afford to do that right now since there are other issues to take care of on the house, so I'm stuck trying to fix just the floor so we don't have issues with it in the short term...
Joe you can repair the floor and do one course of wall tile like you mentioned but this is just a band aid. If your lucky you will find some poly in behind some cement board and this will be lapping over your shower liner.

If you planning a budget job you will need to replace the lower courses of wall till up to 3-4" above that curb height.

The curb looks very heigh and maybe you can remove less wall tiles and lower the curb???

At any rate it's all doable but once that floor is opened up things like repairing failing flooring framing should not be skipped.

Once you repair the shower remember that you need to flood test your work to make sure you did things right.

JW
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Meep!

It is a tall curb, but I really don't want to disturb the face of the curb, or shortening it, since then I have to re-tile the front, which will have non-matching tiles that will lead me to then replace the tiles on the front, then the surrounding fascia, then the doorway, then... That's my fear- I don't want to replace all of the tile. I can see having a mismatched face bothering be enough to do that. The floor being different I can live with.

Not worried about replacing bad materials under the floor- just about spending extra money on tile for the walls, etc., that may be replaced or removed entirely in the short term future anyhow...

Thanks for the thoughts!