Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Share |

Newbie Redoing Kitchen Floor

Hi there -

This is my first post on here so forgive my newbie-ness. My house is about 15 years old and I'm redoing an existing floor, so everything is already in place. The cabinets with toe kick rest on old linoleum floor which I'm going to rip out, and their are wooden baseboards and two door openings as well, one of which is a fancy door jam.

I'm curious as to how to best approach this. The baseboards also look like a pain to remove.

I was wondering what is the best way to lay my tiles near walls / baseboard molding, door jams, and cabinets / toe kicks, for my particular situation.....what would you experienced guys do based on my details regarding the different ways to it?

I'll sum up my options below keeping in mind these quick caveats:
  • can't remove the cabinets obviously to tile underneath them and can't cut into or trim the cabinet sidings
  • there is one door opening that has a fancy door jam / trim which has an awkward design to it that would be fairly difficult to replicate with a cut into a tile
That said, would you recommend:

1. tiling up to everything (cabinets, baseboard molding, and door jams), making fine cuts and caulking the gaps

2. tiling up to everything (cabinets, baseboard molding, and door jams), caulking the gaps, and use shoe molding for the gaps between the tile and wall joints, and the tile and cabinet / toe kick joints. If going in this way, should the molding match the baseboards, cabinets, or the shoe molding that is in the rest of the house which may not match the kitchen cabinets?

3. Remove the baseboards and undercut door jams to place tiles underneath them; caulk gaps between wall and cabinets / toe kicks

4. Remove the baseboards and undercut door jams to place tiles underneath them; caulk gaps between wall and cabinets / toe kicks and use shoe molding matching the cabinets to hide the caulking

5. tiling up to cabinets / toe kicks and baseboard molding, making fine cuts and caulking the gaps, and cut the door jams and slip the tiles underneath them only. I think this might look weird if tiles are slipped under the jams only and not under everything else (like the baseboard moldings, cabinets, etc.).

6. tiling up to cabinets / toe kicks and baseboard molding, and caulk gaps between wall and cabinets / toe kicks and use shoe molding to hide the caulking (again, should the molding match the match the baseboards, cabinets, or the shoe molding that is in the rest of the house), and cut the door jams and slip the tiles underneath them only.

Thanks for any help!

jcostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

What do you have for a subfloor? You may have to add to the thickness to install ceramic. That would change the answers to your questions.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #3

As for the subfloor, I've had two different guys come in who have a good amount of experience in tiling and they feel that the subfloor is suitable and strong. It consists of one layer of plywood attached to the base wood floor over the joists, with an additional second layer of plywood on top of that. It's fairly thick.....I have linoleum on top of the second layer which I am going to rip out and then am planning on placing the tile on top of that 2nd layer. The adjoining room was once tiled in the same manner; it consisted of the same arrangement with the wood floor and two layers of plywood and the tile was still in perfect shape after 16 years. However I'm not sure of the exact condition of the second layer in the kitchen because I haven't removed the linoleum yet....I know there is a very thin layer of paper from the linoleum that seems to be stuck to the plywood, but i'm hoping I can just put the adhesive on top of that. I don't have the dimensions handy, but I'll post them when I get a chance.
jcostas is offline   Reply With Quote