Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Share |

new pergo - where to start laying first course

i just unloaded 42 cases of new laminate flooring and plan to start installing sunday afternoon. i have a question on where to start with the first course. the flooring is going to go lengthwise down the hallway and enter into a bedroom on one side and into the family room on the other side - all the same direction. i'd like to avoid transition strips if possible. i thought i would start in the hallway and work my way into the bedroom and finish on hte back wall then work int family room and finish on that back wall. the problem is that i will be laying it opposite on one side (groove into tongue vs tongue into groove) if i do that. the other option is to start on the back bedroom wall and work towards hallway then into family room thus laying all in the same direction. i am worried about the getting the entrances correct if i do that. anyone else dealt with this and how did you tackle it?

thanks!

snowninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #2

attached are a couple pics the long one shows bedroom entrance on left and family room entrance on right.. the other is just opposite.
Attached Thumbnails
new pergo - where to start laying first course-img_7808-800x600-.jpg   new pergo - where to start laying first course-img_7809-800x600-.jpg  

Old 09-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
D-I-Y Man

I would start it there at the tile floor and continue down the hall and into each room and just notch out the pieces around the door casings.
jricharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricharc View Post
I would start it there at the tile floor and continue down the hall and into each room and just notch out the pieces around the door casings.
thanks for response, that is my plan, i laid this out and to use a full width piece through each entrance means i have to rip the next row along the opposite side of the wall to keep the rows the same. luckily they are pretty short <5' so should work out ok.

question around the fireplace brick, what should i use to cover the expansion gap?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #5

i have used that rubber weather seal that is made to put on the inside of door castings. it is peel and stick on bottom side. they make it in browm and white. i use brown on fireplaces and the white against bathtubs. use clear silicone first to make sure it bonds good
micah72281 is offline   Reply With Quote