New Oak Finishing - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Oak Finishing

Hello all, great forum here as this is my first post. I've installed the second and third rooms of red oak and I'm rethinking my process I used on the first. On the first I used a hand orbital sander to prep the floor and it seemed to work fine although time consuming. I don't want to do that again with two floors to do. I used MinWax Super Fast Drying Poly and the first coat was fine but the second seemed to drag and pull some fibers from the lamb skin applicator. In between coats I sanded with 220 like MinWax said. Not sure if the grain raised too much and I needed a higher grit. I don't want that to happen again and I'm now trying to be sure of my process now. So, I'm thinking of a rental orbital sander for the initial sand but I'm not sure if I'll need it between coats. I don't want a drum sander as I'm not into that experiment at this stage. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Advertisement

ekkoville is offline   Reply With Quote