New Guy And His Bathroom - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New guy and his bathroom

Hello everyone.The time has come for me to start my bathroom project.I need all the support i can get.I just don't have the money for the ''pro's'' to do it.So i am faced with DIY..
Today i ripped up the old floor tiles.They were glued down with ''BROWN'' looking glue.They looked to be a glue down very hard tile from the 60's or 70's.They all came up with ease and none of them even broke.
Now i am looking at which seems to be PLYWOOD?..This is nailed down and looks great and looks tight.Can i lay ceramic over this or do i need to rip this up too.Not sure whats under this?..Thats were i am as we speak.Thanks...Mike

Advertisement

mikemike8891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

New guy and his bathroom

Mike here is a good polace for you to begin your research. Read this entire thread before you do anything else.

Got old floor up - OK experts....what next - pic inside

Advertisement

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

New guy and his bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Mike here is a good polace for you to begin your research. Read this entire thread before you do anything else.

Got old floor up - OK experts....what next - pic inside
Thanks..I just read it all and i was glad to read it.I was wanting to take the easy way out''lazy way'' and just tile over this Lueon stuff..Well it seems i have to tear this out and get to the planks and start from there.
Mine is nailed every 5-7 inches also.Same for my kitchen too.Under my kitchen is tiles and pasted to this Lueon stuff.Under that is original plank flooring.I would bet under all this crap in my bathroom is the original floor..
Am i seeing this right?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

New guy and his bathroom

Good luck Mike...I am the one in the post!
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

New guy and his bathroom

Yea it looks like i wanna take the easy way out but the more i read it seems the ''easy'' way is to tear it all down and start all over from scratch..Geeesshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..lol,lol..

I even just wanted to take the small tiles down and re-do that.But again as i read i see evryone saying ''tear it down'' and get to the stud and put up waterproof board or green board...dammmm:censo red:
Old 10-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

New guy and his bathroom

The sad part is the wall tile is in un real great condition.It is the small 4x4 tile and they are like a beige color.Not to bad of a color..
Is there anyway i can leave them alone and still remodel the bathroom and work them tiles into a ''new updated'' bathroom..I am no decorator but i would love to leave them alone seeing they are in great shape.I guess the only draw back is they are 1980's tile..
Any suggestions on leaving them or am i defeating the ''idea'' of an upgrade to my bathroom..????

Advertisement