New Grout Problem - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New grout problem

I am having a bathroom remodeled. The tile was grouted on Fri. and Saturday the drywall guys came in and did not cover the floor or tub surround. They got drywall mud all over the grout and when it was wiped off, my grout is now almost white not the nice light brown that it is supposed to be. Help! Anyone have any suggestions? If they tell me they can regrout all this, will it hold as well as the original grout? I have never had tile before so not sure what to expect as recourse here. The whole ordeal has made me sick!
Jorja

Advertisement

GeorgiaGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

New grout problem

May be able to scrub it and rinse it and scrub it and rinse it and scrub........

It may or may not clean up. Is it sanded grout? I assume it hadn't yet been sealed? How about it, would you get any joy out of watching the drywall guys crawl around on their hands and knees cleaning your floor?

All that can be done at this point is an earnest attempt to clean it.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #3

New grout problem

Thanks for your suggestion. I have no clue what kind of grout was used. And it had not been sealed. It was just grout on Friday. It looked so nice!

I took a brush and water and worked on a small area. I will see if that works. Will try it several times and see what happens.

If it comes down to regrouting, will it hold up as well as the original grout? My fear is that it will not hold and will crack and start falling out. The tile guy already told me when they do the grout on the other bathroom that he could regrout the floor. But then the surround was affected too. That is going to be a lot of re-grouting.
Georgia
GeorgiaGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

New grout problem

Who's in charge of scheduling the work there? Why was there drywall sanding going on after the tile work was already done? The person that scheduled the work need to start scrubbing.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

New grout problem

You can always re-grout without any real strength issues. The challenge is removing the old (actually new in this case) grout to facilitate installation of new grout. Removing grout is a chore.

I'd get that drywall guy a scrub brush, knee pads, and a bucket of water. Otherwise we'd be in small claims court if he elected to not protect the floors.

As stated, this is a very improper work flow on a project!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

New grout problem

I would let him get his own knee pad ,bucket and brush
Old 09-09-2008, 03:44 AM   #7

New grout problem

Georgia,

Calm down, no re-grouting should be necessary. As a cleaning professional I have come across quite a few of these situations. If you have not already corrected the problem, you can do a couple of things. Hire a professional, which I recommend (at the dry-wallers expense), or use a steamer and a shop vac. You really don't need the heat from the steamer, you are just looking to "blast" the dry wall dust out of the grout, then suck up with a shop vac. You can get decent results using just water with a brush and vac. Do not go crazy with a bunch of chemicals trying to get it out, water is all that is needed along with the right process.

If you decide to hire a pro, just do a search on Google for "tile cleaning", followed by your city. Look for a cleaner who uses a high pressure method, usually with a truckmount. A pro can blast that dust out of the grout in a matter of minutes.

az

Advertisement

azclean is offline   Reply With Quote