New Grout Discoloration - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Grout Discoloration

From what I'm reading uneven light and dark areas on newly installed and grouted tile is due to an installer error. Is this correct? I just had my bathroom floor tiled and notice this problem. The installer said it will eventually even out. Will it?

Advertisement

Forestland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

New Grout Discoloration

Hi Forestland,

That is not necessarily true. The problem could be caused by several reason. We would need a lot more details. it is possible that over washing an area can make it lighter, but it's a small area and if done at one time there may be other factors. Too many to list without more info.

Tell us more. Start with the subfloor type and what was there before, how the new tiles were installed, using what specific materials and conditions including the weather. Also let us know if there's heat ducts under the floor and anything else you can think of. When the job was started and finished, etc.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

New Grout Discoloration

Carpet removed was on a wood subfloor. I think installers put a white type of board with scoring on it to place the Florida ceramic 12x12 tiles on. A sand grout, color grey, was used. The weather was warm, and I don't recall the furnace going on. There are heating floor vents-one in the bath area and one in a closeted toilet area. Tile was set last week Tues 10/3. On the next day (Wed) another person came in to grout and wash.

Several problems were mentioned: poor installation techniques, improper cleaning methods or efflorescence. What do you think?

Thanks-Forestland
Forestland is offline   Reply With Quote