New Floor Questions - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Floor Questions

I recently started a bathroom remodel and its time to do the flooring. The previous sub-floor was falling apart and needs to replace. I also made some large gaps while running several electric runs for another unrelated project. Since this is my first time doing any flooring I wanted to run my plan by someone(s) who have more experience then I do.

My plan is rip out the current plywood (or what's left of it) and to install two layers of 23/32 sanded BC (exterior) plywood from the local orange box store. I plan to use Ditra on top of the plywood and Florida Tile HDP Berkshire tiles.

Outside the bathroom is a hallway with hardwood floors. The distance from the joists to the top of the hardwood floor is ~1.5" so I will have a difference of about a 1/2 inch. Since the tiles are 11mm (.433 inches) I don't think I have much of a choice. I know the min for Ditra is 3/8 but I'm worried that won't be enough for this tile.

Does my plan sound okay? My joists are 2x8s 16" on center. Square footage (not including tub) is 7' x 5'. Tub size is 60" x 32".

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

-Kevin

Advertisement

diynct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,628

New Floor Questions

Quote:
I know the min for Ditra is 3/8 but I'm worried that won't be enough for this tile.
The minimum for DITRA is 5/8" nothing else considered.

DITRA comes 1/8" and 5/16" thick.

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #3

New Floor Questions

I meant the min plywood thickness that ditra recommends for tile is 3/8. So I could put 3/8 over 23/32 but I'm worried that wouldn't be enough.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Tileguy

New Floor Questions

One of us is still confused.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Tileguy

New Floor Questions

DITRA doesn't recommend plywood thicknesses for tile. DITRA has a minumum plywood thickness over which it can be used, and that is 5/8".
Old 09-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

New Floor Questions

I'm probably the one who's confused. I was under the impression that the minimum thinkness for plywood under ditra is 3/8". In their handbook they reference this on on page 23:

http://www.schluter.com/media/DitraHandbook.pdf

Place underlayment panels (Exposure 1, plugged-face plywood or OSB of minimum 3/8"
(10 mm) thickness)

Am I reading the wrong page or misunderstanding something?

It shouldn't matter too much anyway. The tiles I want to use seem to be on the thick side. Is what I'm planning to do reasonable?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Tileguy

New Floor Questions

Quote:
I'm probably the one who's confused. I was under the impression that the minimum thinkness for plywood under ditra is 3/8". In their handbook they reference this on on page 23:

That's not what it says.

It says:

DISCUSSION
In some applications referenced in this Handbook, adding a layer of plywood or OSBbefore installing Schluter

-DITRA and the ceramic or stone tile covering is required to reduce deflection and curvature of the sheathing between the joists.
INSTALLATION GUIDE
Place underlayment panels (Exposure 1, plugged-face plywood or OSB of minimum 3/8"
(10 mm) thickness) with...

So...It says "adding a layer" is required to reduce deflection. The minimum thickness of the added layer is 3/8".

For that matter the minimum thickness of plywood in any tile installation DITRA or not is 3/8". A thickness of 1/4" is out of the picture in any installation.

The uniform building code requires a minimum of 5/8" for any structure anywhere. The Schluter DITRA requirement simply echoes that requirement. The 3/8" is for a secondary panel over a primary panel.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 09-14-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #8

New Floor Questions

I understand now. I wasn't planning changing the first layer of plywood. I was considering using 3/8 plywood for the top layer but I'd rather deal with the gap then worry about issues down the line from a thinner top layer.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Tileguy

New Floor Questions

Quote:
I'd rather deal with the gap then worry about issues down the line from a thinner top layer.
Okay, once again I have no idea what you are saying but I'm not going to pursue it. I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever you choose to do.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

New Floor Questions

Kevin,

In your 1st post you said;

Quote:
My plan is rip out the current plywood (or what's left of it) and to install two layers of 23/32 sanded BC (exterior) plywood from the local orange box store. I plan to use Ditra on top of the plywood and Florida Tile HDP Berkshire tiles.
Some where since then you must have changed your plans. Where does the question about 3/8" fit in?

One layer of 3/4" is enough. Two layers is great. If you go with 2 - 3/4", plus Ditra and tiles, your new floor will be about 5/8" higher than the hardwood in the hall.....perfect. Put a beveled marble threshold in the jamb and you're rockin.

Otherwise go with a thinner underlayment over the 3/4" subfloor and you'll be fine too.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote