New Floor Idea?! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 852
Question

New floor idea?!

So recently I made a thread about taking down a wall upstairs in the bedroom. The carpet that is currently down is completely destroyed, so we are going to put in a new floor.

now the question is, i am thinking since it's on the 3rd level, where the ducts from furnace is losing heat by the time it makes it up to the bedroom, what do you guys think about a radiant floor?

we dont have access to under the subfloor, so i think the best method is a electric mat system above the subfloor.

so:
1. does it make sense to put a radiant floor in?
2. if we did, what kind of finish floor should we install? i read that tile is best, but i dont really want tile in a bedroom.
3. how DIY friendly is this? i picture myself laying the mats down, and then making the connections. easy right?

what are you guys thoughts please

Advertisement

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

New floor idea?!

I've done a couple of the electric radiant systems recently, both the pre-woven mats, and the cable that you have to lay down yourself. The mats are definitely easier, but more expensive. Depending on the size of your room, the cable may be the most economical (my kitchen is 13x18, and I did 240V cable)

It's not that hard to install, as long as you can follow directions well. The most important part is very carefully measuring the space you will heat, because you cannot alter the size of the mats or cable once you purchase them. There are guides online that tell you how far apart, how far from walls/appliances/etc and can give you a good idea.

From what I've read also, you can install it under all different types of flooring, but your solid floor is going to be the most efficient. Perhaps a wood floor would be a good compromise? just a suggestion, I personally don't like carpet...

Is this a room that is typically cold? Attic space, of sorts? I've also read that radiant floor heating can be used to actually heat a space, and IMHO if that were the case, I would want to pick a more efficient type of flooring (like hardwood) to get the most out of my electricity...

Advertisement

kerronelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #3

New floor idea?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerronelm View Post
I've done a couple of the electric radiant systems recently, both the pre-woven mats, and the cable that you have to lay down yourself. The mats are definitely easier, but more expensive. Depending on the size of your room, the cable may be the most economical (my kitchen is 13x18, and I did 240V cable)

It's not that hard to install, as long as you can follow directions well. The most important part is very carefully measuring the space you will heat, because you cannot alter the size of the mats or cable once you purchase them. There are guides online that tell you how far apart, how far from walls/appliances/etc and can give you a good idea.

From what I've read also, you can install it under all different types of flooring, but your solid floor is going to be the most efficient. Perhaps a wood floor would be a good compromise? just a suggestion, I personally don't like carpet...

Is this a room that is typically cold? Attic space, of sorts? I've also read that radiant floor heating can be used to actually heat a space, and IMHO if that were the case, I would want to pick a more efficient type of flooring (like hardwood) to get the most out of my electricity...
thanks for your note. you have me a little confused though. i read hardwood is not good for radiant heat because the heat ends up cracking the wood over time.

did you use the cable kind? how much did it cost?

yes this is attic space. the size is about 15x10 or so
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

New floor idea?!

I don't remember specifics about the wood, as I put mine under tile (bath) and slate (kitchen) but I remember a chart that talked about heat transfer(???) and the different efficiencies of different materials, carpet, tile, hardwood, etc. Stone/tile is the most efficient, I think, followed by wood, and carpet is last.

I just poked around another thread about hardwood and radiant, and the guy that was doing it said something about bamboo being the best suited. Maybe look into that? perhaps one of the fake wood floor, or nicer laminates, if you're trying to avoid tile...

My cable, for est. 230 sq feet (I'm pulling out of my memory here, so forgive me if I'm off a little...) was about $900-ish. That's taking out footage for my cabinets and appliances. With an attic bedroom space, I don't think you have to work around anything like that, just whatever the shape of the space is. I got both the mats and the cable from thermosoft. They have all kinds of measuring and planning guides, and I just looked, they have another type that goes under floating floors. Check them out, at least it will help you get an idea of square footage, and approx pricing. Oh, and they're always running a 50% off deal. At least the dozen times I've looked at their website!
kerronelm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kerronelm For This Useful Post:
federer (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #5

New floor idea?!

thank you. yea i am not a big fan of bamboo either. and i hate carpet. i think i might go with vinyl.....or linoleum?

thanks for the suggestions! i will check out that site. yea i dont have any appliances or anything.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 252

New floor idea?!

It might be easier to install a fan booster. I don't personally have experience with these, but I know they are meant to help carry to hot or cool area further. Some engineered wood floors can go over radiant heat, just be sure to check what the manufacturer says about it. Hope this helps.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,226

New floor idea?!

Also remember that heating mats are not to heat the room. All they do is warm the floor a little.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #8

New floor idea?!

so the effect from the heat mats wont really boost temperature up in the room overall then?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #9

New floor idea?!

so i am thinking the cost and benefit wont really justify doing this. thanks everyone!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #10

New floor idea?!

so here is the floor after we tear up the carpet. for those just joining, originally we took down an interior wall (see my other thread), and this was where the bottom plate was sitting on. so do we need to install new plywood decking to make it flush again? and how do we do this? just screw it down 16 on center to the floor joists below? (in this pic you can see the joists running perpendicular to the subfloor that is exposed. but there is a good inch gap)

Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #11

New floor idea?!

here is other end of the room. they had the romex run up through the bottom plate for 3 outlets on the interior wall we took down.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #12

New floor idea?!

now that i have decided against radiant heat, my options for flooring open up.
quick question: what kind of floor is this?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #13

New floor idea?!

Heating mats are there just to bring a little warmth to the floor and not to heat the room...
CharmainPhilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #14

New floor idea?!

yea. i decided against radiant floors. just going to buy a heater for the room
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 508

New floor idea?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer View Post
now that i have decided against radiant heat, my options for flooring open up.
quick question: what kind of floor is this?

That looks like commercial carpet.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
federer (01-14-2013)