New Engineered Hardwood Bowing? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Thumbs down

New Engineered Hardwood Bowing?

We have a concrete slab that had parquet floors installed and we got them ripped up up and had new Mirage engineered hardwood floors installed with glue. We spent a lot of money getting this wood and installed. Mirage came with high recommendations and I am a little upset by the issue below.

Flash forward 1 month and a corner of the floor is bowed almost like it is not sticking to the slab anymore via glue (almost like you put an air bubble under the wood flooring).

Also I asked them about giving me the wood a week in advance to acclimate to my house. They said it was acclimated in there warehouse and even the Mirage website says that their engineered hardwood does not need to be acclimated.

That is the only issue right now. I has rained a good amount over the last 2 weeks but nothing major.

I was wondering what could be going on? The bowing or popping up from the slab is in the corner closest to the outside of the house.

Thanks

Advertisement

7 VII 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

So they glued it to the slab??

Your slab may not be perfectly flat. Especially in the corner where concrete finishing is difficult or gets less attention during finishing. If they used a long straight edge before the floor was laid to check for any slight dips or humps in the slab, this is when floor leveling compound could have been used. The glue may have let go during the curing.
If the slab was "true" then the product may be defect. If the bow is in the corner, will base board hold it down?

Advertisement

MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Force View Post
So they glued it to the slab??

Your slab may not be perfectly flat. Especially in the corner where concrete finishing is difficult or gets less attention during finishing. If they used a long straight edge before the floor was laid to check for any slight dips or humps in the slab, this is when floor leveling compound could have been used. The glue may have let go during the curing.
If the slab was "true" then the product may be defect. If the bow is in the corner, will base board hold it down?
What do you mean when you say concrete finishing? I am not sure if they used a long straight edge before installing.

The base board is holding it down now. When you step on it it feels like I am stepping on a bubble but is being held down by the baseboards.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7

What do you mean when you say concrete finishing? I am not sure if they used a long straight edge before installing.

The base board is holding it down now. When you step on it it feels like I am stepping on a bubble but is being held down by the baseboards.
Whoever poured the concrete slab had to finish it aswell. Meaning they may have power troweled the concrete to get a nice flat surface. However the power trowel dosnt fit into corners which may explain a possible dip or a hump close to that corner. The hardwoodfloor installers may not have noticed the very slight imperfection. However they would have noticed any "waves" in the concrete slab had they checked for dips or humps by using a long straight edge. Subsequently the hardwood may have sprang up before the glue cured. If the hardwood is higher in that area than the rest than there may be a hump near by. Or if its level but spongy, there may be a valley.

But if you are having water issue in that area, then that may be the culprit.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #5

I've seen some horrendously finished slabs and some that are "fly-shat-perfect". I always tell my finishers that; 'As long as its perfect, that's close enough'.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ Force For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Whoever poured the concrete slab had to finish it aswell. Meaning they may have power troweled the concrete to get a nice flat surface. However the power trowel dosnt fit into corners which may explain a possible dip or a hump close to that corner. The hardwoodfloor installers may not have noticed the very slight imperfection. However they would have noticed any "waves" in the concrete slab had they checked for dips or humps by using a long straight edge. Subsequently the hardwood may have sprang up before the glue cured. If the hardwood is higher in that area than the rest than there may be a hump near by. Or if its level but spongy, there may be a valley.

But if you are having water issue in that area, then that may be the culprit.
No issues with water.

When they took up the old hardwood floors that were glue down. All they did was scrape up the glue with a sharp edge and then lay down the new glue. Where they supposed to do more than that? I asked the installers and they said that is all they do.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Where they supposed to do more than that? I asked the installers and they said that is all they do.
They may "pas-the-buck" and say that the imperfection to the slab is not their fault. Then I would ask, Do you typically lay your flooring over slabs which may have dips or valleys which would cause the flooring you installed to pop up?

If the problem is not their fault ( which could be checked by lifting the floor and examining the area for glue and levelness) then you may have to live with it or repair it.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
They may "pas-the-buck" and say that the imperfection to the slab is not their fault. Then I would ask, Do you typically lay your flooring over slabs which may have dips or valleys which would cause the flooring you installed to pop up?

If the problem is not their fault ( which could be checked by lifting the floor and examining the area for glue and levelness) then you may have to live with it or repair it.
Well I asked all these questions to the installer and he said there is no need to do this. I asked about checking the moisture level and he said that there was no need. This is an A+ Angies List member also so I hope they come through other wise I might have to get a lawyer.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Well I asked all these questions to the installer and he said there is no need to do this. I asked about checking the moisture level and he said that there was no need. This is an A+ Angies List member also so I hope they come through other wise I might have to get a lawyer.
Finding out who is truly at fault may be difficult and expensive. You could be on the hook for your own costs of exploring what truly happened. Don't expect them to come up with the answers which may cost them. They could come up with a number of factors which may have caused this such as moisture, imperfect slab, defective product(s), wrong application etc. Any of which may be covered under the contract you agreed too. There is a contract right?
7 VII 7 (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Finding out who is truly at fault may be difficult and expensive. You could be on the hook for your own costs of exploring what truly happened. Don't expect them to come up with the answers which may cost them. They could come up with a number of factors which may have caused this such as moisture, imperfect slab, defective product(s), wrong application etc. Any of which may be covered under the contract you agreed too. There is a contract right?
There is a contract with a 3 year warranty on labor.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #11

Just found another corner that has the same issue just not as bad with what the company replaced. Different room opposite corner.... something is not right here.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 252

I think the other guy might be right about the edges of the concrete and the way it was finished. It is very often slightly sloped in these areas. This could probably be taken care of by injecting some 3M epoxy. It will likely hold it down. Hope this helps and sorry to hear about your issues.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Awoodfloorguy For This Useful Post:
MJ Force (05-07-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

why does it seem like everyone is assuming that it is the concrete floors fault and not the installers or the product? the OP never stated that there were any problems with the previous floor that was glued to the concrete. 7 VII 7 should call the place where the flooring was purchased and have them look at the floor. if they didn't supply the installers then they should be called also. last call would be to a company rep and let them determine if is defective flooring or a bad install. you can always pay for an independent party to assess the problem.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT
why does it seem like everyone is assuming that it is the concrete floors fault and not the installers or the product? the OP never stated that there were any problems with the previous floor that was glued to the concrete
The previous floor was parquet. Which I believe you could lay over a beach ball and would likely lay flat and conform to any waves in the concrete slab. Which is why I assumed.
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
why does it seem like everyone is assuming that it is the concrete floors fault and not the installers or the product? the OP never stated that there were any problems with the previous floor that was glued to the concrete. 7 VII 7 should call the place where the flooring was purchased and have them look at the floor. if they didn't supply the installers then they should be called also. last call would be to a company rep and let them determine if is defective flooring or a bad install. you can always pay for an independent party to assess the problem.
I called the flooring company who we bought the flooring through and did the install. The installers were their own guys. I called yesterday around 11am and have not heard back yet. It is not an emergency but I will update the thread with what happens. Some other friends who have installed floors are saying they put it too tight to the wall and when it expanded it POPPED up.

Advertisement