Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #1

Share |

New construction subfloor

I am in the midst of building a center hall colonial in NJ. The builder states that he only needs 1 layer of plywood for the subfloor as it's "extra thick".
Amomg other things, I questioned this bec the plumbing sub installed the base for the toilet drains, and they are not flush with the surface of the subfloor (perhaps as much as a1/4 inch above). Aesthetics aside, will this matter?

Burat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burat View Post
I am in the midst of building a center hall colonial in NJ. The builder states that he only needs 1 layer of plywood for the subfloor as it's "extra thick".
If I understand you properly....
This is correct. You only need one layer of 3/4" floor sheathing. We like to use 'ADVANTECH' Subflooring - this is the product:

http://huberwood.com/main.aspx?pagen...antechflooring

Quote:
Amomg other things, I questioned this bec the plumbing sub installed the base for the toilet drains, and they are not flush with the surface of the subfloor (perhaps as much as a1/4 inch above). Aesthetics aside, will this matter?
Actually, it is supposed to be installed like that. Most likely you are planning on installing tile on the floor, or some kind of flooring. The toilet drain flange needs to be seated on top of whatever flooring it is you are going to use. They purposely left that gap there to allow your finished flooring material to fit underneath the drain flange. Sounds like they are "on the ball"(once in a blue moon somebody messes that one up)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-18-2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Tileguy

That flange might be too low? The underside of the flange is supposed to be on top of the finished flooring. It's not a big problem if the top of the flange is level with the finished floor, might have to adjust the wax ring, or used 2 instead? The make extenders and shims to get to the right heigth.

What type of flooring will be installed in the bathroom floor?

Jaz
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #5

The bottom of the flange is actually about 1/4 - 1/2 inch above the unfinished subfloor - already screwed in and attached to the drain. There will be tile on the floor - I was just wondering how they're going to get the tile to fit UNDER the bottom of the flange.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
The bottom of the flange is actually about 1/4 - 1/2 inch above the unfinished subfloor - already screwed in and attached to the drain. There will be tile on the floor - I was just wondering how they're going to get the tile to fit UNDER the bottom of the flange.
That makes sense to me.
That space may be accounting for: 1/4" Cement backer board and then 1/8" + for the tile and adhesive...

As stated earlier, it sounds right...
Old 03-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
Tileguy

As I said it might be too low. The tile doesn't go under the flange, just under the height of it. They should bring the tiles to within 1/2" of the side of the flange, not under it necessarily.

What kind of flooring and what method of installation?

Jaz
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #8

Ummm..... Correct me if I'm wrong here...but aren't we basically talking about 1/16" or so that will most likely be filled-in with grout? ?

This doesn't seem to be the 'dilema' that someone keeps trying to steer it into being???

With all due respect.... If I am wrong...please correct me...?

Otherwise you are going to make the poster a very nervous person over a what is essentially a 'non-issue'....and the GC is the one that will have to deal with this....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-18-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #9

In retrospect, this is a non-issue. My initial concern was apparently unfounded. I thought new construction subfloors consisted of 2 sheets of plywood, not one, and apparently this is not so. Therefore, the toilet bowl flange concern=non-issue. My apologies.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #10

Burat...no problem...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #11

I have Advantech down now & am going to use VCT. Do I need to put some type of additional subfloor before I start gluing? I don't want to have cracked tiles. This is new construction.

deidollins is offline   Reply With Quote