DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   New carpet and dog peeing when during thunderstorm? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/new-carpet-dog-peeing-when-during-thunderstorm-180905/)

imola ghost 05-30-2013 11:42 AM

New carpet and dog peeing when during thunderstorm?
 
We are considering getting new carpet and the only issue I'd like to address is the dog sometimes peas on the carpet when there is a thunderstorm. He doesn't do this all the time but its something I'd like to think about when buying new carpet.

What is something I should look for in new carpet to help with this when/if it happens?

Is there anything I can do while the carpet it out to help out?

Ideas?

joecaption 05-30-2013 11:50 AM

Very poor choise of flooring with that issue.
It will distroy the carpet and padding plus stink.

creeper 05-30-2013 12:08 PM

How about crating the dog when it storms. Dogs don't like to soil their own quarters.

Lots of dogs suffer from fear of storms, vacuums, fireworks. Dogs have a very impressionable time period between the ages of 10 -14/15 weeks. What happens to them during this period will be indelibly etched into their memories. Its important for owners to remember not to coddle a dog in a storm, particularly if the dog is showing fear. They are not children and do not take this attention as a form of comforting, regardless of how you intend it to be.
They see it as a sign of weakness, and if their god almighty master is acting weak, then there really must be something to be worried about. Just ignore him if he is scared or engage himin a game of fetch if he's willing.

My special Shepherd was sound and fearless. Never displayed stress of any kind. Not even when I vacuumed him.

Go about your business. Turn the music up loud, sing away and be happy. Dogs pick up more unspoken body language then lots of people realize.

gregzoll 05-30-2013 12:11 PM

Need to figure out which is more important. Keeping the dog loose during a storm, or replacing the carpet every year, because the pet ruins it. You are better to kennel the dog when away, or right before a storm rolls through, than having to clean the carpet every time after.

ccarlisle 05-30-2013 02:51 PM

Just don't go around blaming the carpet for the dog and its owners faults. Get youself a small extractor machine, like the 'Bissell Little Green Machine". Have your carpets professionally cleaned every year (to get to the underpadding), but the little extractor will do in the meantime...

No need to deprive yourself of a carpet for a dog IMO.

Also consider a nylon carpet - not wool - or polypropylene if it's in a humid area like the basement; most carpetting is nylon anyway but the thing with nylon is you can treat it occasionally with bleach wthout harming the fabric.

Clean it up right after the accident. And you might have to get used to a smell - most owners do.

nicktools561 05-30-2013 02:58 PM

The carpet is the problem.. If you know this about your dog then I would advise you to change your flooring to something less porous like tile. But if you really want carpet then I would suggest placing a diaper on your dog during the next thunderstorm. I hope this helps, best of luck to you and your doggy! :)

ccarlisle 05-30-2013 03:20 PM

Nope; the carpet is not the problem - the urine is. No urine, no problem.

TheBobmanNH 05-30-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarlisle (Post 1191369)
Nope; the carpet is not the problem - the urine is. No urine, no problem.

The carpet is the variable that is changeable. Unless he plans on getting rid of his dog, the urine is probably not something he can change. Obviously crating the dog is a solution, but chances are at SOME point the dog is going to be out and a noise is going to scare him into peeing if that's what he does. As an owner of a dog who pees a LOT when he's scared (even in his crate, so that "dogs don't like to soil their own quarters" bull is at best not a hard-and-fast rule, and at worse nonsense), you can't always anticipate these things, so better to be preventative of the damages.


https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1781954/Gordo2.jpg
Sorry, dad.

creeper 05-30-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH (Post 1191378)
The carpet is the variable that is changeable. Unless he plans on getting rid of his dog, the urine is probably not something he can change. Obviously crating the dog is a solution, but chances are at SOME point the dog is going to be out and a noise is going to scare him into peeing if that's what he does. As an owner of a dog who pees a LOT when he's scared (even in his crate, so that "dogs don't like to soil their own quarters" bull is at best not a hard-and-fast rule, and at worse nonsense), you can't always anticipate these things, so better to be preventative of the damages.


https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1781954/Gordo2.jpg
Sorry, dad.

Geez Bob..nonsense and Bull ?? Why ya gotta be all skeptical and whatnot??

Its true...you have to notice the selection of the LIKE.

In fact one way of helping a puppy to learn to wake you up in the night when it has to go is to tie the leash to something in your room..Bedpost??
He will cry when he has to go.
Young females are the worst at letting go when they are scared or excited

He's a cutie BTW

747 05-30-2013 09:28 PM

when you at carpet store. inform them you have a dog.

MTN REMODEL LLC 05-30-2013 10:08 PM

Boy... If you can find an answer... let's patent it...sell it... and then we can replace the carpet monthly...hell we can replace the house:thumbsup:

We had an older black lab who was not real continent... and we put in hardwood and used "cheap throw away" rugs for her last years.

May not work for you... but we actually liked changing the rugs out for a fresh decorating look.

Good luck... what kinda doggie

TheBobmanNH 05-31-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 1191496)
Geez Bob..nonsense and Bull ?? Why ya gotta be all skeptical and whatnot??

Its true...you have to notice the selection of the LIKE.

In fact one way of helping a puppy to learn to wake you up in the night when it has to go is to tie the leash to something in your room..Bedpost??
He will cry when he has to go.
Young females are the worst at letting go when they are scared or excited

He's a cutie BTW

Sorry, no offense intended, I always come off as far more harsh than I mean to on the Internet.

I rarely get dogs in their first year of life, so many bad habits have already been formed and are unlikely to change, so while I accept that proper training very early can often help dogs with issues, chances are once they're old enough, you just have to deal with them. :)

Two Knots 05-31-2013 09:44 AM

This is a problem many dog owners have.
All our dogs through the years suffered from separation
anxiety when left 'home alone.'
We solved the problem
by installing two interior french doors in our kitchen, one
off the foyer and the other one going into the family room from
the kitchen. The kitchen has a ceramic tile floor.

This keeps the dogs confined to the kitchen when we're not home.
It saves the carpet and also keeps the dogs off the LR furniture.
They're allowed on the leather furniture in the family room,
and have the run of the whole house when we're home, but as soon
as we go out, they know it's the kitchen for them.

Our beloved beagle passed, but our son's Boston's are frequent
overnight and weekend guests here, and they know the routine.

creeper 06-01-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH (Post 1191906)
Sorry, no offense intended, I always come off as far more harsh than I mean to on the Internet.
:)

Apology well accepted and thanks. But I am the queen of the misunderstood intentions on the internet.

My sharp tongue and sarcasm is often taken as an insult, when really it is usually delivered with love and empathy.

I feel so down trodden sometimes:( the world is looking bleak. This video captures it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKffm2uI4dk

Windows on Wash 06-01-2013 07:51 AM

Poor little pup.

Get him/her a Thundershirt.

Works miracles on one of my mutts.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...eL._SY300_.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved