DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New carpet or baseboards..which is first?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
I am in the beginning stages of remodeling one of my bedrooms. I am installing new baseboards and carpet but need to know which would come first. I would think that you would install the baseboards first but don't to create more work for myself. Your opinions are much appreciated.

#3 ·
There's going to be two differant opions on this one.
I like to leave them out until the carpet goes in to not have the carpet guys wacking into them and have to go back and do touch ups over new carpet.
Some people are going to say to use scrap pieces of base under the baseboard being installed to lift it 1/2 up off the floor so the carpet can be tucked under it. Makes little since to me, but both ways work.

#5 ·
If you wait to install after the carpet, if the base has a curve in it, it will be hard to straighten it out. I have seen people run the base after carpet and the base was not straight, I suppose you could pop a line and keep it straight and the same distance off the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.