Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

New basement floor. Placed over vinyl ?'s

We have a finished basement. 2 br, kitchen, bathroom. House on a hill so the basement has windows and an external sliding glass door. Right now it is vinyl from the late 70s glued on concrete. The main area is about 700sq feet of vinyl glued down very well. We're looking at anything but carpet. There are nicks and dings in the floor.

I was thinking of:
Ripping sheet plywood into 6" strips then doing a sanding, stain, poly. But would liquid nails hold it down ok? There isn't moisture issues I'm aware of.

Would peel and stick tile be a good bet? Just scuff off the gloss and stick it down?

I did laminate in another room but looking for a much cheaper option since this is an extra space for guests/game room.

Thanks for any help! Been lurking here for ages.

corym81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Tileguy

Cory,

A description of 'vinyl from the late '70's' doesn't tell us much. Let us know if they're tiles or sheet good, smooth or textured, and whether the surface seems hard or does it leave a mark if you press your nail into it. Also a few pics would do wonders to identify it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

Ill post some pics when im home later.

Its a sheet. With some texture. Color does not go through to bottom. Its pretty hard and tears. I scraped it all off one bedroom and pieces could kinda chip off as its really not flexible. Rather not scrape it all off. Ugh not fun even with a good scraper, scoring and soaking with hot h20, also using an iron to melt glue.

I know vinyl plank may show texture but thats not too bad as its just an extra area.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Using plywood cut in strips just makes no since to me.

Peel and stick comes loose, will not stay stuck to a textured surface, color does not go all the way through so as it wears it shows white.
Near impossible to lay in a straight line.
Shrinks with age exposing gaps.
Laminate would be about the cheapest, easiest floor you can lay over you old floor.
You do know if there was black adhesive under that old tile it could contain asbestos.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

I know its asbestos free. Its my wife's grandparents house he helped build in 79 so thankfully were sure of that.

Ive seen the plywood done like here:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c0cde...9186A5B4%21189

Its very inexpensive and looks good but not sure it works on my floor since I don't have a sub. Ive done laminate in other rooms and have all the tools just is a bit more expensive and id hate for a septic backup and its toast.

Maybe a place can do another type of laminate sheet over it?

Last edited by corym81; 08-11-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #6

I can see engineered flooring installed as a floating floor, but still would never use plywood.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Tileguy

Plywood is too soft and I guarantee you're gonna gouge a seam or two and then you'll be dealing with splinters. Those things hurt!!

I never know what the definition of cheap or too expensive is. Can you give us an idea? Do you know that there's wood patterned laminates available for under $2 a ft? So they're pretty cheap, a mediocre vinyl is at least that much, I think?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corym81 View Post
I know its asbestos free. Its my wife's grandparents house he helped build in 79 so thankfully were sure of that.

Ive seen the plywood done like here:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c0cde...9186A5B4%21189

Its very inexpensive and looks good but not sure it works on my floor since I don't have a sub. Ive done laminate in other rooms and have all the tools just is a bit more expensive and id hate for a septic backup and its toast.

Maybe a place can do another type of laminate sheet over it?
Just because it was built in '79 doesn't guarantee that it is asbestos free.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #9

One option is to use a plastic subfloor. I would pull off any loose vinyl floor. Roll the dimpled plastic subfloor out. Tape the seams and seal the edges with some spray foam. If you use a dimpled subfloor like DELTA-FL you can install laminate or engineered flooring right on top. No wood subfloor required. A couple of my friends have done this with their basements and are pleased with it.
BrianAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAM View Post
One option is to use a plastic subfloor. I would pull off any loose vinyl floor. Roll the dimpled plastic subfloor out. Tape the seams and seal the edges with some spray foam. If you use a dimpled subfloor like DELTA-FL you can install laminate or engineered flooring right on top. No wood subfloor required. A couple of my friends have done this with their basements and are pleased with it.
That will work as long as there is no moisture. If you have moisture under the plastic, you will get mold growth.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

If the vinyl flooring holds moisture it can cause mold. Good point.
But plastic does not grow/ cause mold.

BrianAM is offline   Reply With Quote