Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #1

Share |

Needing some advise.....

Hello to all!!!
I am just about to start installing about 800SF of Maple flooring in my house, The question I have is it wise to install this in the 2 entryways that will see the tracking of snow, rain etc??? or would it be better to go with a tile or stone in these areas??? any advise or experiences would be greatly appreciated...

wooody_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #2

Needing some advise.....

is this laminate or true maple?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #3

Needing some advise.....

It is 3/4" maple...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
DIY'er

Needing some advise.....

I have hardwood in the entryways of my house that were there when I bought the house. They were in perfect shape 5 years ago when I bought the place...nice oak, fully sealed....Needless to say, with two boys, 6 and 5 there is definetly some water damage in these areas, some darkening of the area near the threshold, etc...also even with a entry rug, there is noticebly more wear there....But again, I have two boys...in and out, snow boots and crap all the time... you know.
If it were me starting from scratch, I would put tile in these areas...
If you do go with tile, maybe go with a porcelain for its natural water resistence and durability. Also, maybe use Spectralock Grout...that stuff is bulletproof and really easy to use compared to other apoxy grouts...spills and dirt comes right up....best of all you never have to seal it...I have it in my bathroom and there hasnt been a thing I couldnt just wipe right up...
If you go with wood there, you are always going to be worrying about it....I know I would because I am that way...
As for stone, that is a possiblity but make sure if it a significantly large area make sure that the joist structure can carry all that weight...I think stone is a pain to set too....I did a concrete patio in slate and I didnt have fun....

Hope that helps...

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #5

Needing some advise.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooody_1 View Post
Hello to all!!!
I am just about to start installing about 800SF of Maple flooring in my house, The question I have is it wise to install this in the 2 entryways that will see the tracking of snow, rain etc??? or would it be better to go with a tile or stone in these areas??? any advise or experiences would be greatly appreciated...
I would use real hard wood and have floor mats at the entrance of the room...you can check out this site for more tips www.install-wood-floor.com
rk_king2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #6

Needing some advise.....

Thanks Doudrus & King,
The floor has been acclumating for about 5 days, I am planning on laying it this week end. I have kids too and that was one of my worries. We are going to install Tile at one of the entryways and will go with wood at the other....... Well wish me luck , this will be my 1st time laying planks..... Any other tips would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
DIY'er

Needing some advise.....

Happy to help...Let us know how things are going...Once you get into it Im sure some questions will come up.
Good luck!

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote