Need To Strengthen 2nd Stor Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Need to strengthen 2nd stor floor

Not sure if this belongs in Appliances or flooring, maybe i will post in both places, hopefully that is allowed

I recently moved to a new house that has a second story laundry room, my old house laundry was in basement

The problem i am having is my LG front loader spins so fast that it shakes the whole house, and comes out of balance regularly.

I read that these machines are not recommended for 2nd story use, but i don't really want to get rid of it, plus i'm sure i will have to take a loss if i sell the machine

Is there anything i can do? would putting hardy board and tile down help? I was thinking that all the screws that are used in hardy board would help tie everything together and add some rigidity. does this make sense? Would the tiles vibrate loose?

Advertisement

Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Quote:
Is there anything i can do? would putting hardy board and tile down help?
How would that change anything?

Quote:
I was thinking that all the screws that are used in hardy board would help tie everything together and add some rigidity.
Not hardly!

Quote:
does this make sense?
None!

Quote:
Would the tiles vibrate loose?
Sounds as if the entire room would vibrate loose.

Who said these products couldn't be used on a second floor? Just curious where that comes from.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Who said these products couldn't be used on a second floor? Just curious where that comes from.
the manufacturer says so. these things spin VERY FAST and it really vibrates itself out of balance on the second floor. they really don't recommend it for use on the first floor either, best results are on a concrete pad due to the high RPMs
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 154

It might help things if you added some plywood to the sub floor. I think it would strenghten the floor and provide some sound proofing.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
I read that these machines are not recommended for 2nd story use, but i don't really want to get rid of it, plus i'm sure i will have to take a loss if i sell the machine

Is there anything i can do? would putting hardy board and tile down help? I was thinking that all the screws that are used in hardy board would help tie everything together and add some rigidity. does this make sense? Would the tiles vibrate loose?
Putting down hardi backer and tile will not help. The hard surface will just transmit more vibrations. You need to isolate the machine from the floor. This can be done by cutting a piece of 3/4" plywood big enough for the machine to sit on, and then isolating it from the building floor with a thick spongy rubber mat between the ply and floor. Check with a restaurant supplier for the mats used on concrete floors where people stand at work stations all day. Also there are vibration mats available from a HVAC supplier. You will not get rid of all the vibration without getting pretty sophisticated in the isolation methods, but it will help a good bit just to isolate the machine from direct transmission to the floor. It is not a problem of the strength of the floor, but a sound (vibration) transmission problem.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-23-2008 at 10:33 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote