Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

need some help on a sub-floor

just gutted my kitchen today. everything went fine. just a ? on the sub-floor. my house was built in late 1955. the floor throughout the house has something my neighbor called a "sleeper" or "creaper". what I got on the floor joists is 1"X4" (cross the joists) then 1"X2" (cross the 1X4's and about 10-12" apart from each other) then 1/2 ply. my neighbor said they did that to run conduit thru the floor.

now tomorrow i'm gonna take up everything except the 1X4's. i think i have 2-3 lines on the floor. one line is in a corner where a cabinet will be, another in another corner, and one across (shortwise) entire width. can i just butt some 3/4 osb to the conduit (should be the same height) fill the gap with thinset then cover with tile backer board?

my one buddy who is a tile guy said it "should" work, but he's never done it. i really dont wanna move the electrical (basement ceiling is finished and it would take alot of hole drilling thru floor joists).

another option would be to do the above but instead of filling the gap with thinset...i could recover the entire floor with 1/4 osb on top of the 3/4 osb. the floor this way would be pushing my max height to a wooden floor transition.

i plan on tiling the entire floor b4 the cabinets go in. im gonna use some 6X24 porcelain wood plank tiles

whatcha guys think???

Last edited by deputy; 09-11-2012 at 01:45 AM.
deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

You plan may very well fail----try this---fill in with 3/4" plywood (OSB puffs up when wet) then cap the whole area with 1/2" bc exposure one (exterior glue) then Ditra--only adds 1/8"--then tile---

The tile will be likely to crack over the conduit ----if you use your original plan.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

just glue in the gap?...and what is ditra?

where r u in kane? im the next county over in dupage (lombard)
deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

Nothing in the conduit area at all---the 1/2" ply will span that open area without an issue---Ditra is a plastic mat that ie used instead of the 1/4" cement board---to see samples go to Century tile and look at the displays----

Schluter is the manufacturer---lots of Youtube videos on that product.

I'm close----just north of St. Charles-----( I worked for Century tile 20 years back---)