Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need some expert crawlspace advice - moisture and hardwoods (Carolinas)

Hey guys - first post. This is really a crawlspace question but relates directly to hardwood floors - so Mod's please move if this is not the appropriate place for this post.

I'm having difficulty understanding how to attack my crawlspace. I bought a house built in 1973 with a vented crawl and had some new hardwood floors put in (5 inch, white oak). It's been 2 weeks and there is some[span style='font-style: italic;'] slight[/span] cupping to the floors. The installer was good - we tore out most of the subfloor and ran fans in the house to dry out the plywood below... and the wood was let to sit for about 10-14 days after installation and before sanding.

The crawl space is 1600 square feet and has 12 temp-vents (close with a bimetal coil at ~ 40'). I also had new 6 mil poly put down and R19 insulation put between the joists.

I get the sense that the crawl is still somehow getting humidity in it. I bought a wireless thermometer/hygrometer so I can measure - but I am getting conflicting advice on how to keep the crawl-space dry.

Question 1: What should the relative humidity of the air in the crawl be?

Question 2: Since NC is fairly humid, are the vents letting humid air in instead of crawlspace vapor out?

Question 3: What action should I take?
- Should I get some vent-fans to move the air out?
- Should I put a humidifier down there? Seems dumb since it's vented ... basically be dehumidifying the entire county (running non-stop)
- Should I encapsulate the crawlspace?

Thanks...

Last edited by Fooboy; 10-20-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Fooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

Did you lay a vaper barrier under the flooring on top of the plywood.
You say you ran a fan over the plywood before installing the flooring, why, was it already wet?
What is the subflooring, plywood, partical board?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Yes, there is 30 pound "felt" ... I think it's the same as tar paper ... between OSB and hardwood.

The old flooring in there was carpet over particleboard. Particleboard was ripped out and exposed the plywood - it was damp in places. Ran fans on it for about 2+ weeks and it was dried out pretty good.

If there was any moisture still in the plywood ... I guess it would make its way out and then the boards would lay back down - right?

Last edited by Fooboy; 10-20-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Fooboy is offline   Reply With Quote