Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Share |

Need some advice on refinishing my hardwood floor

Hi everyone,

I want to refinish the hardwood flooring on my main floor myself and I have a few questions which i am not sure about.

The finish on my current (original) hardwood floor is peeling and flaky. I looked around and I believe an orbital sander with fine sand paper should be enough, and I wont need a drum sander. Is this recommended?

Also, my main concern is that i have two big couches that are very hard to move out to the garage as i have to take the front door, and i dont have anyone to help me, as its only my wife and I

I am wondering if i can do the flooring in section, so i can do one section and move the couches there, then do the other side. Would this cause any complications in the final finish? As in, will there be a noticeable difference between the 2 sections? If so, what is the best procedure to use to minimize/eliminate the difference between the two sections?

Thank you for the help.

EDIT: Also, would sanding the floor take away the grove between the floor planks?

Last edited by twizller; 08-08-2012 at 08:01 PM.
twizller is offline   Reply With Quote