Need Major Help, Yellow Carpet Glue All Over - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need major help, yellow carpet glue all over

I began tear out of my first floor to prep for the new flooring which I was planning to do laminate. Previous owners glued down a nice 30ftx12ft of industrial carpet directly to the slab and the yellow glue is everywhere. I have two scrapers and they are barely working. The smaller yet heavier scraper seems to be the only one able to remove any of the glue but at the rate its going it will be months before the surface is cleared. Has anyone specifically dealt with the yellow glue before and if so how did you get it up? I have tried the boiling water method, acetone and even paint stripper in small areas to see if it will work and its not helping. Everyone I have talked to about using a grinder said it will just gum it up. Please help if you can

Advertisement

fox_forma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

When you tried the boiling water method did you let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the glue to soften and turn pliable?
What did you use to scrape off the glue?

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

When you got the glue wet what happened? Did the (wet) glue get lighter in color after ten or fifteen minutes or did it stay the same color?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

I tried letting the boiling water set up for 10min and for 5min and it really did nothing to help. As for after the glue was wet it basically stayed the same color. The scraper I am using works but it is taking way to long. One thing I thought about was grinding the scraper down making it sharper on its edge. If I use the scraper with more force on one side it seems to scrape it up easier only problem is it only takes up about an inch wide strip. I just cant believe this glue is this tough.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Maybe a heat gun combined with scraping? That worked for me once on glue you use for linoleum.
NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #6

Did a little more trial and error and found something that works. I ended up using a wood scraper used for cutting in doors for their mounts. Only issue is the one that I was using was only an inch wide but in an hour I got more glue up than I had in the past three days. Only thing now is to find the same type of scraper only wider. Hopefully the handheld floor scrapers have sharp blades cause I am going to be on the ground for a while scraping.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #7

Well just in case anyone else has to deal with this I found the only solution that seemed to work. I tried all the bioling water, glue strippers and a few other useless things. Nothing made it any easier to get up. I did some searching for a scraper that has a razor blade type edge and found a hand held floor scraper at Harbor freight to test out. To my surprise it worked fairly well, only problem was your on your hands and knees and have no real leverage. I ended up going back to harbor freight to look for something I could use to sharpen the floor scraper I already had and found nothing to handle the task easily. I ended up looking around a little and there it was a 48" scraper just like the hand held one I had bought. I picked it up and some extra scraper blades for a whopping $13. Came home today and got 3/4 of the glue up already. I did more in 2hrs with this thing than I had all the previous week trying other techniques. The trick I used was one solid motion make a long run with the scraper. I did this and majority of the glue came right up. I did a certain area and when I was done in that are I put a new blade on and went over any areas that still had glue and it came right up. Hopefully this will help out anyone else that has this issue and save them from going through all the hassle I did.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to fox_forma For This Useful Post:
ttr13r (08-27-2011)