Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need a Little advice on redoing a Hard Wood floor

Hi, I have been helping a group of guys 'rebuild' a Fraternity House. It is a beautiful building but we do not have a lot of money to work with when it comes to rebuilding, which is great for me because I enjoy fixing things up myself.

I have been doing research on removing stain from hardwood floors and so far it doesn't look pretty. We do not have the money to hire a professional and I would much rather prefer to just remove the old stain chemically and run over the floor with possibly a belt/palm sander?, note: this is not my first time removing stain.

My fear is not so much that I will hurt the floor (we will just carpet over it), Its that these are 'chemicals' and they will seep threw the cracks on the floor, I don't want them to cause other unforseen damage or even health problems to future members who live in the room.

Just looking for a little advice, Thanks

hagemann11088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Need a Little advice on redoing a Hard Wood floor

you could rent a sander and do it yourself. Strippers are expensive and you will have to get rid of that mess properly plus from what I've heard is the fumes are unbearable. I just rented an orbital floor sander from Lowes for 39.00 a day plus sand paper. You can't screw up the floor with this sander. It takes a little longer than the drum or belt sanders but it does a nice job and it will get the stain out.

hrjrkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chemical stripping, redo, removing stain, woodflooring