Need Help Wwith Subfloor In 3rd And 4th Bedroom - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need help wwith subfloor in 3rd and 4th bedroom

I have currently gutted our 3rd and 4th bedroom along with the wall between the 2 rooms. My intent is to either install french doors or pocket doors between the 2 rooms. This will give my daughter more room as it will be one big room, or when needed close the doors and get the seperation.
Both rooms were orginally carpeted but I want to put down hardwood instead..

So, I have gutted the rooms and I have noticed that the subfloor is spongy in places. Its OSB or particle board and I would like to either replace it or drop plywood over the top of it.

My questions are this..

1 - Pulling up the original subfloor is a bit of a challenge as I would need some sort of close cut saw to cut close to the existing walls. Is there such a thing ? The other problem that in a few areas the osb sheet continues under the framed wall and into the master bedroom so I would only be cutting a certain section of that sheet of OSB. Is that a problem ?

2 - Is it not easier to drop down new plywood sheets over the top of the existing flooring ? Maybe 3/8's or 1/2 inch ? I realise that with the addition of hardwood flooring it will raise my floor up a bit, but I think that would be okay. However is this really the correct solution ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Advertisement

Dave Clee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Need help wwith subfloor in 3rd and 4th bedroom

Cover it up if you can live with the additional height. Replacing it would be opening a giant bag of worms.

Advertisement