Need Help W/ Flooring! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need Help w/ Flooring!

My boyfriend and I have been doing some improvements on our small house and we're looking to take up the tile in the kitchen. I want to replace the tile with slate tile and some crushed brick. Since I've never done this before, I'm interested in knowing what we should use over the grout to make the floor level and smooth. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Advertisement

cmercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

Need Help w/ Flooring!

The crushed brick on the kitchen floor is a good idea.

I was at the Iowa state fair today and noticed some horses in the arena depositing manure and someone came out and just kicked some dirt over it.

You'll have the same situation. If you drop something on the floor, just grind it down into the brick chips and you won't notice it is there anymore.

You may have to replenish the floor from time to time as the brick chips move throughout the house and down the hvac vents, etc.

Other materials you might want to consider include 1/2" clean rock, straw, or wood chippings.

You might find it useful to install some thresholds in order to help keep the material in place. See the etymological background for threshold. This was used to hold the thresh (straw) in place, so it didn't go out of the house. The threshings must have been a great material to have on the dirt floor to keep dust down, give a refreshing smell, etc.

Advertisement

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Need Help w/ Flooring!

Use a feather finish ardex patch. High psi strength, quick dry and easy to float.
Godspede619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tile; sealant