Need Help Repairing Hardwood Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need help repairing Hardwood floors

Evening all.

I am new to the site, and hoping that maybe some folks here could be of assistance. I have hardwood floors (oak maybe?) that are really light in color. Unfortunately, I never put protection guards on the bottom of my couches when I moved in. Over the last few years, the couches have caused some significant scratches in the hardwood floors from moving about. I now have guards on the couches, but it does me no good for the scratches already in place!

I have tried sanding, wood filler, stain and polyurethane. I've even tried rubbing oil onto the scratched part of the wood. The problem is that no matter what I do, the end result is that the scratched part comes out looking darker than the rest of the finished floor. I've only tried on a couple spots, and I'd rather have the scratches than what I'm doing to the floor in my attempts. Any pointers on what I might be able to do would be very much appreciated!!

Advertisement

JJW215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might try WoodEpox, part of the epoxy wood restoration process from Abatron. You may find you have better control over color of an epoxy filler than trying to match a wood putty type colored filler. You may end up having to sand the floors down to the depth of the scratches for true uniformity again.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre.../woodepox.html

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

you are lucky you can re stain them. I would thin down the stain and do it in stages to blend it in.

i had an unlucky customer that had some poor quality bamboo floors with an aluminum oxide finish and had to rip them out and replace 2 boxes of hardwood. lucky they had extra boxes laying around.
mamascabinet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardwood floor repair , hardwood floors , staining oak